UM2 print head project

Talk about your experience with Ultimaker printers
Meduza
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2+, UM3 (F2, UM2EX+ UM3EX, etc at work)

Re: UM2 print head project

Post by Meduza »

You can also use the new Colorfabb HT wich has even better temperature resistance (105c tg!) but on the other hand is on the edge temperature-wise (250-280c) to print on a Ultimaker...
Izzy
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by Izzy »

I like Gudo's designs for the fan ducts and if I wasn't very happy with my design I would give this a try, a quick question your Fans, what's the spec and where did you get them? :-)
I've been testing different materials recently and as well as various PLAs I've also tried some ABS, and Igus, as well as others, what I have found is that even for materials where they say no fans I always run at low speed just to keep some cooling air flowing through the ducts preventing them getting too warm.
Attachments
image.jpeg
gudo
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2 Extended

Post by gudo »

Hi Izzy !
Thanks for to be interested, I seen before your fans duct design, I like your design approach too, for me it just lacks the central protection to protect heating block from the unwanted fan airflow rebound. When fan cooling is not needed,I think that is a good idea to keep a constant low airflow just for keeping the fan duct cold.
the UM stock fans are very poor ! no design can significantly improve their efficiency. I have'nt not tested alternative axial fans, seeing centrifugal possibilities I was directely interested by it.
The centrigugal fans are really a good alternative, there are great benefits !
here where you can purchase it & download the spec : http://www.mouser.fr/Search/ProductDeta ... psUg%3d%3d

I tested prints today with an updated centrifugal fan duct with a metal central portion clipped on it, it's builded with a can metal sheet as you can see above in the post , this solution largely solves the central heat resistant problem for the PLA fan duct, if it works for PLA it will be better for any other material !
I'll share the update as soon as possible on Youmagine.
Izzy
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by Izzy »

Hi Gudo's, cheers for the info.
I do have to dial down the fan sped for my new ducts, using the origional fans I measure 6m/s flow as the duct was designed to flow and then focus the air, these small fans can't handle back pressure, they will still turn but not push the air through, I found some duct designs would suffer from back pressure when close to a flat surface. That's why I designed them so that the vertical height can be altered, as well as the small notch that is close to the nozzle, it helps to prevent the back pressure.

Just finished a test print of Kia Parthy's Reflect-o-Lay filament, I have a sample for testing, a semi flexable filament that has reflective microbeads in. 3 1/2 hours to print the torure test 'Benchy' as print speed is 15mm/s and print layers 200um.
gudo
Reactions:

Post by gudo »

Yes ! I noticed that there is a peripheral back airflow through the stock fan propeller because of the pressure, that it needs more power or several axial stages :lol: ;-)
I take a look of the Kia filament it seems interesting, do you think that would be a good thermal reflective as the shiny aluminium tape ?
gudo
Reactions:

Post by gudo »

Hi to all
I continue my fan trip :shock:
I caught headaches because of the infernal noise of the heat block fan , yesterday I installed a Sunon fan : http://www.gotronic.fr/pj-689.pdf
while it's much less noisy it blows much better, also I made some small changes of the UM2 heat sink.
In working, the printer is now so quiet, I was wondering if the fan always turned
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

Very pretty...I'm impressed at the work you've done

It would be interesting to match our new French Friend (gudo) with our Super Spanish Man (Neotko) in a room full of printer parts and see what you two create :)
gudo
Reactions:

Post by gudo »

Hi LePaul
Thanks ! I love challenges, at least those here are not dangerous ! :lol:
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Post by Neotko »

Nah I'm far from good. I wish I had any engineering background. Gudo indeed knows what he does.

I would love to see Foehnsturm + Anders + Meduza ina room full of spareparts for a month with access to cnc/lathe 3d and resources to try materials. Now that could be awesome.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

Well one this is for sure...among this group of forum users....it would be fun to see the things we could create over a weekend. (I'll observe, sip my beer and work on my droids lol)
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

Anyone knows how to read Fan's datasheets?

I was thinking of buying 6 of that blower fans. But I wanted to compare one with the others I have, but I have no idea how to read this data.

Blower fan PDF
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/632/BFB35x35x10mm-519313.pdf

The ones I have EBMpast 414H
http://img.ebmpapst.com/products/datash ... 1428781344

Which moves more air/time ? EBMpast uses mm3/h and the other mm3/sec

I suppose blower fans can generated more pressure to actually move air and the axials do much less pressure? Anyhow, anyone can understand the technical differences (on the air flow) ?
Amedee
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO / UMO+

Post by Amedee »

The only thing that matters is the air flow. CFM is imperial, others are 'metrics', you can easily convert between them.

An important aspect is the output section of your shroud, as it will determine the speed (and pressure), but for a given shroud, is they have the same air flow they will give the same result.

Obviously voltage should match and the lower power consumption the better (In Amps or Watts)
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

So the blower has a 0.060 airflow on mm3/min
And the 40x40x20 fan has 13.5 on mm3/h

so.. 0.060 * 60 = mm3/h = 3.6 mm3/h Correct?

So... it can move more air, but also it need's more distance to generate enough pressure. Just like I simulated on the Flow design. So.. I can keep mines.. I'll start to solder the other fans, this um2+ fancap it's quite horrible :D
gudo
Reactions:

Post by gudo »

so.. 0.060 * 60 = mm3/h = 3.6 mm3/h Correct?
yes correct !
gudo
Reactions:

Post by gudo »

for remember 1CFM = around 1.7 M3/H

Return to “General Discussion”