UM2 print head project

Talk about your experience with Ultimaker printers
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Re: UM2 print head project

Post by LePaul »

I was wondering if Neotko would adapt this for the Ulitmaker Original :)
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Post by Neotko »

Don't think so, his design it's way better than mine. Hopefully some skilled guy do it!
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

I was noticing the CFM of the fans is very low, 1.66 CFM!
Amedee
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO / UMO+

Post by Amedee »

LePaul wrote:I was noticing the CFM of the fans is very low, 1.66 CFM!
It is for cooling the print, not for building a drone...
gudo
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2 Extended

Post by gudo »

Hi LePaul
May be you don't see the same I use
Its done for 2.12 CFM
The last of the list here : http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/632/BFB35x35x10mm-519313.pdf
gudo
Reactions:

Post by gudo »

Hi to all
I'm sharing my delirium :shock:
recycle the cans of your favorite beverage :idea:
I really wanted to use PLA printed fan shrouds,
the heat resistance problem of the shroud central portion under the heat block for my fan shroud project is solved by using the thin can sheet metal material.
It's very light and thin 0.2mm thick, easy to cut with scissors, carefull for the fingers, it's sharp !
it forms well by using a appropriating printed shape tool.
the metal sheet is flexible , it's easy to clip , no screws needed.
The deflector is slightly hot at printing start (I can safety touch it with the finger), but as it is very thin, it cools quickly when the fans are running and stays cold in the air flow.

Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

The problem you will find in 1-2 weeks it's that even the bed tem at 60C will start to bend the bottom parts of the fancap. To protect the hottest area that sollution it's perfect but you might need to aluminium tape the hell of the bottom areas of the cap. Alu tape works amazingly well on pla fancaps. I even use it to stick heat aicks to my feeder motors so I don't need to screw/glue them and it works fantastically.
Anders Olsson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2 UM2E, UM2Go, UM3, Delta Tower, Form 1+, Form 2

Post by Anders Olsson »

gudo wrote: I plan to machine this part in a hight advanced polymer called " Polybenzimidazole " short name " PBI", I have not yet seen somewhere that it is already tested or used for 3D printer :?: :!:
In fact, Celazole/Duratron PBI has been used for manufacturing a PTFE replacement at least one, check "glloq's" post here: https://ultimaker.com/en/community/8024 ... ge=6&sort=

Sadly, "glloq" disappeared from the forum shortly after posting those pictures and I haven't been able to contact him since and I haven't heard of any feedback on that spacer.

PBI is an interesting material though and should be investigated further!
I have been about to buy a piece several times just to do some experiments with new hotend designs.

When designing, keep in mind that PBI is both expensive and apparently is quite difficult to machine, check out the engineering notes here: http://www.quadrantplastics.com/eu-en/p ... R-pbi.html
gudo
Reactions:

Post by gudo »

Hi Neotko ! Thanks for your advice, I had never met this bottom fan cap problem but I'll follow your alu tape recommendation
Hi Anders ! nice to read you and thanks for the informations;
As you said; it's sadly that there was not investigated further, I read the " qlloq " what is interested is that seems that PBI works well with PLA, that was the point that I feared most, so it's time to investigate,
I had previously dowloaded the Celazole Duratron spec from the Quadratplastics site
Here where I order the PBI :
http://www.plasticstockist.com/Duratron-PBI.aspx
Amedee
Reactions:

Post by Amedee »

gudo wrote:Hi to all
I'm sharing my delirium :shock:
Your print comes out very nicely btw. Are you using a lot of support?
gudo wrote: The deflector is slightly hot at printing start (I can safety touch it with the finger), but as it is very thin, it cools quickly when the fans are running and stays cold in the air flow.
Beyond what Neotko says, another issue comes when you have to print hot without fan, because then it does not cool itself anymore. Mine is printed in ColorFabb nGen which has a better Tg than regular PLA, and it still deforms a bit...

There is nothing wrong with your design, and PLA is fine for prototyping, but for the final one, I think it is better to go to ABS, or an heat-resistant PLA.

The aluminum can is a great idea, I wanted to mill a piece of alu, but I dropped that idea as I found it was too heavy/bulky...
drayson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO with mods :-)

Post by drayson »

gudo wrote:Hi to all

This design is great!
Would be great to have it applicable to a dual head at the UMO too :-)
With which CAD-SW have you made the design? Maybe there is a way to adapt it easily...

The tin can idea is also very good - easy to gather, process and safes the environment.
Amedee
Reactions:

Post by Amedee »

The STEP files are already on Youmagine ;)
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

Amedee wrote:
Beyond what Neotko says, another issue comes when you have to print hot without fan, because then it does not cool itself anymore. Mine is printed in ColorFabb nGen which has a better Tg than regular PLA, and it still deforms a bit...
On umo since all the hotend heat crawls up you are getting the fullhotend heat around the fancap, on um2 all the hotend, except the heater, has active cooling so there's way less heat floating around. On my um2 fancap pla I only got deformation after 2 weeks on the areas near the bed that didn't had aluminium tape. That's why the um2 anders spacer on pla doesn't deform even being on top of the coupler (also because the 5v fan hits directly).
Amedee
Reactions:

Post by Amedee »

Neotko wrote: On umo since all the hotend heat crawls up you are getting the fullhotend heat around the fancap, on um2 all the hotend, except the heater, has active cooling so there's way less heat floating around.
Yes agree, but the potential problem is only under the heater, on my UMO I don't have any other other issue...
Even when you cool down the head, the heat accumulates around the heater bloc and eventually the PLA will become soft.
gudo
Reactions:

Post by gudo »

Your print comes out very nicely btw. Are you using a lot of support?
Hi Amedee
Thanks !
I'm the first surprised by the print quality,I just used the Cura standard adjusted for the PLA , no any support ( 0.1mm layers, 0.4 mm nozzle, 40mm/s speed, 210°material & 50°bed....)
the PLA is the Polymax from Polymaker, the feeder is the Bondtech, I had to adjust 11mm retract to avoid oozing, since I used it I forget the feeder problem.
My old fan shroud (shared on Youmagine) was printed with the grey Form Futura PLA, it worked more than 150 hours, mainly PLA prints, outside or inside, it has no any deformation with no any alu tape use, so I'am a bit confused with the heat deformation issue of the new one. :!: :?: , I'll print an another with the Form Futura PLA to compare
anyway you're right , to be quiet it would be better to use nGen ABS or Polytec.
Here the picture , the white Polymax shine to much,

Hi Drayson
Thanks!
With which CAD-SW have you made the design? Maybe there is a way to adapt it easily...
I desing with Autodesk Inventor, as Amedee wrote, I share the step files too on Youmagine

Return to “General Discussion”