PLA thickness for air pressure usage

PLA that isn't any of the brands we have already made categories for? Talk about it here
Mvago
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): MakerBot

PLA thickness for air pressure usage

Post by Mvago »

Hi,

I’m printing an adapter using PLA to use under air pressure. This is for Airsoft (similar to paintball) and the adapter need to sustain ~100 psi. Will the PLA material handle that pressure? If yes, any recommendation on the thickness of the wall for that pressure?

If I simplify it to make easier to explain, the adapter is a 3in x 1in x 0.5in container. The air will go in from one side (0.5in side) using a quick connect and go out from the other side, thru a 5mm hole, that will have something else connected there. Basically I'm making a air pressure tank.
Is 3mm enough to handle the 100psi?

Thank you,
Mvago
Last edited by Mvago on February 12th, 2019, 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Re: PLA thickness for air pressure usage

Post by Roberts_Clif »

They Print 3D Models https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:342964

Though
I 3D Printer a Water Hose Adapter, they said worked it leaked every where. They said to increase the Infill still leaked.
I would like to know the setting to keep it from leaking for my references.
susanneadam
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ender 3

Post by susanneadam »

3mm may be enough to hold air printed 100% depending on the surface area that is 3mm but you would need to test at low pressure to see if it will leak.
Lez0
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): JGAurora A5S, Anycubic Photon, Saturn 2

Post by Lez0 »

Hi
I used to work for a company making pressure vessels. We always tested the vessels with water, the reason, it there was a problem the water would leak and the pressure would go down quickly and safely. If you use air to test and the is a problem, BOOM. :-o
Test with water first.
Lez
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Lez0 wrote: February 21st, 2019, 4:16 am Hi
I used to work for a company making pressure vessels. We always tested the vessels with water, the reason, it there was a problem the water would leak and the pressure would go down quickly and safely. If you use air to test and the is a problem, BOOM. :-o
Test with water first.
Lez
Thanks @Lez0

Return to “PLA Filament General Discussion”