Issues with created supports for overhangs

Discussion of Ultimaker's open-source Cura software
roldy
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker3 Extended

Issues with created supports for overhangs

Post by roldy »

I've posted this on the ultimaker community forums but I decided to give it a shot here as well.

I'm having an issue where the support structure does not print under an overhang but does print under an overhang further up the z direction. I've included some images to help show what I'm trying to explain. The model .jpg shows the areas I'm referring to. The shape and thickness of the overhangs circled in red are the same. No support structure is printed underneath the bottom overhang except, for some reason, the portion of the bottom overhang that has the hole shown in 106, 109, 110. After layer 109, Cura goes right into generating the overhang at layer 110. As you move up the z direction the support structure is printed entirely for the top overhang as shown in the sequence images 275 and 277 which result in the first layer of the overhang 279. The top overhang is fully supported. How can there be no fully generated support structure for the bottom overhang but there is for the top? I've also included the .3mf file for debugging.
Attachments
model.JPG
UM3E_9.zip
(787.99 KiB) Downloaded 361 times
9.STL
(2.1 MiB) Downloaded 321 times
279.JPG
277.JPG
275.JPG
110.JPG
109.JPG
106.JPG
Mr SNG
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): hictop auto leveling desktop 3d printer prusa i3

Re: Issues with created supports for overhangs

Post by Mr SNG »

I encountered a similar problem like your experiencing and I got round it by downloading 'Custom Supports' plugin from Cura market place.

With 'Custom Supports' you are able to adjust the size and positions of the support. I'm printing really small detailed parts and use Cura 4.3.0. If you want I can post you a couple of print profiles to see if that helps you also
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Hello @MR SNG

I for one would like to see you profiles for Cura 4.3.0.

Who know when or where I can find information that will make my Slicer profiles work better!
Mr SNG
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): hictop auto leveling desktop 3d printer prusa i3

Post by Mr SNG »

Here you go: Print Profiles

There are 3 profiles I have been using, 2 for fine print with 0.2 and 0.4 nozzle sizes. The other profile I use runs at a faster print time which I use for printing off parts for my printer and prototyping.

Obviously maybe not to everyone's choice but they are working well for me!
roldy
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker3 Extended

Post by roldy »

Thanks, I will give this a shot. I did find a solution which I still find odd. In my 3D application, I deleted the plate and remodeled it and Cura "recognized" there was a full feature that needed supporting. This is odd though still because the original plate feature was still part off the overall model. I made sure to join all my bodies. I am not a fan of the custom supports plugin for the fact that I can't create custom supports that saves material. For instance, I would like the option to create conical towers from the base to the directly under the top for each small section.

Return to “Cura”