Cura wish list

Discussion of Ultimaker's open-source Cura software
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Re: Cura wish list

Post by LePaul »

Please tell me the latest build won't be using light blue and white by default. That's an awful color theme...I was searching for a way to reduce the gamma on my monitor :)
nallath
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker

Post by nallath »

ivan.akapulko wrote:Nallath, will there be in a new version of the ability to move between layers with keyboard? Some Shift+Up/Shift+Down in a layer view mode?
Yep :) (ctrl + up / down) to be precise
Dim3nsioneer
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original, 2, 2+, 2 Ext+, 3, S5, Form 2

Post by Dim3nsioneer »

Neotko wrote:I'll have tocheck that processpluging. I remember it qas no use for me the tweak ar z because I wasn't able to insert more than once, and when used twice it only did the first plug insertion and not the second or third.
Which version of TweakAtZ?
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Post by Neotko »

The last time I used it was with cura 15.04. Ehen using the pluging two times it only worked the first time
nallath
Reactions:

Post by nallath »

LePaul wrote:Please tell me the latest build won't be using light blue and white by default. That's an awful color theme...I was searching for a way to reduce the gamma on my monitor :)
Yeaah about that. Sorry. We do have a theme file where you can change these things.
nallath
Reactions:

Post by nallath »

I sent out a bunch of invites for closed beta. Didn't get one? Send me a message and I'll hook you up :)
martin-bienz
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original, prusa i3 mk2

Post by martin-bienz »

if you are open for one more, you could hook me up. :)
nallath
Reactions:

Post by nallath »

You've got mail!
antiklesys
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO

Post by antiklesys »

I'm happy to be included in the beta if there's an opening.
One feature I think it'd be valuable for cura is how the initial and final layers are made.
I used to slice with netfabb in the early days of Ultimaker and it was generating the initial and final layers as a spiral.
This was also extremely smart when the printer had to do overhangs.
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

nallath wrote:You've got mail!
I been playing with the new beta and I have some questions nallath.

Where's the option to have retract when crossing spaces?
It's there an option to retract when using the option 'avoid printed parts' ? Since the travel move will be longer, the hotend should drip more from moving from a to b.
Cura will never have an option to adjust Z bed speed?

Btw nice addition to be able to change retract/prime speed

On Platform Adhesion, why there isn't an option for 'None'. Yes I can write and set 0, but that just make's it look like it's a must to have one. I never use any brim/etc for my shop prints.

The option Surface mode, ok I get it, but it's weird to have an option to change the top/bottom layers to 0 and call it special surface mode. Sorry it's weird.

Where in the world it's the option to stop Cura from autoadjusting Z of the object (if I move it up it goes to 0 of bed auto) and it autocenters the prints. Shouldn't this be just a 'click' away on the gazillion clicks menu?

Opening the pluging menu opens a window almost 1.5 times bigger than my retina screen and I need to move it to be able to press 'ok' and also, Why this window can't be resized?

How in the world I group objects. On photoshop, illustrator, rhinoceros, almost any program in the world, I would just SHIFT-Click the new object... Oh I see it's CMD key.. Not very user friendly. Standard keys (the most used among other programs) helps the user. Ctrl G, Shift Click, Ctrl Click to deselect.. You know, the usual keys. I say this because:

To select two items, I need to use CMD key + Mouse click. But to Group I need to go to the menu and select the option 'group'. If I'm using keys to do something, let me keep doing that with the keys. Moving from keys to mouse to click,... etc.. It's a bit of a mess.

Cura 2.099 and I still can't 'pan' the screen unless I click over an object? Space + Mouse (like many programs) it's a nice and commonly used way to do this for example. And ... Space + mouse movement changes the zoom? It's quite weird.

Layer viewer... Still no color legend? Ok I can guess blue it's movement, red perimeters, green... inner perimeter and yellow infill.. But still, a small legend for new users, not a bad a idea....

And, where's the 'reset' position?

Well so far this program it's zero use for me. I need retracts, I need group management of 15 different parts for one single print object. With this cura managing objects for different productions it's a no go. And the scroll menus.. the gazillion options to open up..
nallath
Reactions:

Post by nallath »

Neotko wrote: Where's the option to have retract when crossing spaces?
I'm not that familliar with all the engine settings. Could be that it's there.
Neotko wrote: It's there an option to retract when using the option 'avoid printed parts' ? Since the travel move will be longer, the hotend should drip more from moving from a to b.
Don't know, but I will put it on the requested feature list!
Neotko wrote: Cura will never have an option to adjust Z bed speed?
Same as last
Neotko wrote: On Platform Adhesion, why there isn't an option for 'None'. Yes I can write and set 0, but that just make's it look like it's a must to have one. I never use any brim/etc for my shop prints.
Uh? Really? That actually suprises me. This is why we test stuff. Added it to the list.
Neotko wrote: The option Surface mode, ok I get it, but it's weird to have an option to change the top/bottom layers to 0 and call it special surface mode. Sorry it's weird.
I'm not quite sure what the surface mode does, but i seem to recall that it's a bit more complicated then that.
Neotko wrote: Where in the world it's the option to stop Cura from autoadjusting Z of the object (if I move it up it goes to 0 of bed auto) and it autocenters the prints. Shouldn't this be just a 'click' away on the gazillion clicks menu?
There is no option for that now, but it's more sensible to prevent the model from dropping onto the platform once we have better support structures etc. Should be easy to add a preference that prevents this behaviour.
Neotko wrote: Opening the pluging menu opens a window almost 1.5 times bigger than my retina screen and I need to move it to be able to press 'ok' and also, Why this window can't be resized?
Plugin menu can be resized on my system. What OS are you using?
Neotko wrote: How in the world I group objects. On photoshop, illustrator, rhinoceros, almost any program in the world, I would just SHIFT-Click the new object... Oh I see it's CMD key..
Actually, ctrl is quite often used for multi select (Most OS'es do this). Would it be okay if we also add the shift click? Might also be an idea to make configurable buttons for these kind of things (Like games handle this)
Neotko wrote: Cura 2.099 and I still can't 'pan' the screen unless I click over an object? Space + Mouse (like many programs) it's a nice and commonly used way to do this for example.
Click & move middle mouse button
Neotko wrote: Layer viewer... Still no color legend? Ok I can guess blue it's movement, red perimeters, green... inner perimeter and yellow infill.. But still, a small legend for new users, not a bad a idea....
Added it to the list
Neotko wrote: And, where's the 'reset' position?
Right mouse button.
Neotko wrote: I need group management of 15 different parts for one single print object.
I don't understand what you mean by this.
Neotko wrote: With this cura managing objects for different productions it's a no go.
Okay, why not? What would need to change so it could work for you?
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

nallath wrote:I'm not that familliar with all the engine settings. Could be that it's there.
That could be nice. I mean, one of the most important thinks for me it's to have top layers clean, with no scratches, if there's no retraction when moving from a to b the drip from pressure, anything, can ruin a print, and I like to make them look good.
nallath wrote:Don't know, but I will put it on the requested feature list!
Ty!
nallath wrote:There is no option for that now, but it's more sensible to prevent the model from dropping onto the platform once we have better support structures etc. Should be easy to add a preference that prevents this behaviour.
Well for me it's quite usefull 2 thinks. a) Be able to undercut the objet base if needed, by moving it below z. b) Sometimes I need to move an object up from the other, just because it's 5 object part, so sometimes the letters stay just 'on top' of the object, in the air (for that object but the truth it's that it's just over something and not in the air)

For example

This it's a 7 stl with each with a process for different nozzle extrusion, speeds, etc. The icon of the pineapple it's 2 stls, each with a process. They are placed 'in the air' (on top of the keychain). On S3D I drop them on the program, select all and Group so they stay in place just like I designed them on rhinoceros. Then I select each part for each process. This way I can have the keychain surface printed totally 'flat' without weird head movements and they look just crisp and clear. Also each text has speed, size, etc etc etc.

nallath wrote:Plugin menu can be resized on my system. What OS are you using?
Osx El capitan 10.11.4 beta (15E49a)
nallath wrote:Actually, ctrl is quite often used for multi select (Most OS'es do this). Would it be okay if we also add the shift click? Might also be an idea to make configurable buttons for these kind of things (Like games handle this)
Sure indeed. I think the most common used keys are influence from photoshop/illustrator but indeed that's very subjective.
nallath wrote:Click & move middle mouse button
Osx middle button, if it's a trackpad it's quite imposible. Magic mouse osx also it's imposible. Non standard mac mouses do have whell third button (my logitech has it).
nallath wrote:Added it to the list
Ty!
Right mouse button.
ups my bad. I did love a lot the old cura 'x/y/z manual input, it adds a precision factor. But that's ok
Neotko wrote: I need group management of 15 different parts for one single print object.
I don't understand what you mean by this.
Neotko wrote: With this cura managing objects for different productions it's a no go.
Okay, why not? What would need to change so it could work for you?
Explained on the img I think.

The advantage of 'keeping' the stl x/y/z it's that you can actually make small changes on the print on the design program without having to touch a think. I can make different texts, icons, etc, keeping the base intact, then I group and move to where I want to print. If I need a change I 'reset' position, delete a part and insert a new text. That keeps the think on a production speed. Without that it would be crazy to redesign the 18 different keychains a shop asked me to make them since the only change it's the text on each one.
PeggyB
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMOriginal - UM2Go

Post by PeggyB »

nallath wrote:
ivan.akapulko wrote:Nallath, will there be in a new version of the ability to move between layers with keyboard? Some Shift+Up/Shift+Down in a layer view mode?
This doesn't work on MacOS (10.10.5) this combination shows all my open windows next to each other.
In Cura 15.04 it works with 'shift+UP/Down. But in Cura 2.1 it rotates, found no combination yet to move between the layers..
nallath wrote:Neotko wrote:
On Platform Adhesion, why there isn't an option for 'None'. Yes I can write and set 0, but that just make's it look like it's a must to have one. I never use any brim/etc for my shop prints.

Uh? Really? That actually suprises me. This is why we test stuff. Added it to the list.
In legacy Cura, if you choose 'none' you actually got something .... a skirt... ;-)
nallath
Reactions:

Post by nallath »

Neotko wrote: Well for me it's quite usefull 2 thinks. a) Be able to undercut the objet base if needed, by moving it below z.
This is possible. Just move the object under the platform. It should work.
Neotko wrote: This it's a 7 stl with each with a process for different nozzle extrusion, speeds, etc.
This is also possible. Add per object settings to each object and then group / merge them. I do agree that it needs more love, but it is possible to quite awesome stuff with this (Merge sets their respective origins to the same spot, group treats them as one big object).
Neotko wrote: Osx middle button, if it's a trackpad it's quite imposible. Magic mouse osx also it's imposible. Non standard mac mouses do have whell third button (my logitech has it).
Added to the list (eg; we need to think about it / add ability to change these things)
nallath
Reactions:

Post by nallath »

PeggyB wrote:
nallath wrote:
PeggyB wrote: This doesn't work on MacOS (10.10.5) this combination shows all my open windows next to each other.
Whoops. Added it to the list. Ctrl + up / down is the only way to step through them at the moment.
PeggyB wrote: In legacy Cura, if you choose 'none' you actually got something .... a skirt... ;-)
Well, that's bad and we should feel bad ;)
Last edited by nallath on March 4th, 2016, 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Cura”