Cura 3.6.0

Discussion of Ultimaker's open-source Cura software
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Re: Cura 3.6.0

Post by LePaul »

I just recently installed Ubuntu on a one-year old laptop, I hadn't thought to try Cura on it.

Sadly, Cura runs slow on my brand new Lenovo P72 laptop. Intel i7 with 6 cores! They really need to optimize their code
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Nice Laptop!!!
Have you adjusted you laptops battery verses power resources settings, from the factory they are configured for maximum battery life.

Have Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on a VMware Player.
This is what is nice about lots of cores you can designate what cores work with each application.
Preventing one application slowing all others down by taking up all the resources.

Have been looking at a 16 Core dual Intel Xeon E5-2660 @ 2.20GHz Computer benchmarks at 16327.
Not good for gaming it is built for as a multiple application workstation.
Was also looking at a Dual CSE-745 16-Core 6272 @ 2.1Ghz Turbo 3.0Ghz computer benchmark at 10008.
More cores for individual cores per applications, preventing one application slowing all others down by taking up all the resources.
This is what is nice about lots of cores you can designate what cores work with each application.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

I use my laptop as my desktop...so usually Never Off On Power on everything. I didnt go with the Xeon, it was a bit more than I wanted to spend

It's a beast of a laptop and I love the huge screen. I could never go back to a 13 or smaller...I can endure a 15"
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I have A Toshiba L755-S7248 Intel Core i3 2310M not a great laptop I use it to Flash my 3D Printers.
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Post by GrueMaster »

I'm on an Intel NUC 6i5SYB with an i5-6260U 1.8Ghz processor, 32G memory, and 480G SSD. Both of my printers (one on either side) are attached to RPI3's running Octopi. I have them both setup in Cura (which complains with every update saying the configuration data is corrupt - ignore and carry on). While I don't currently print very often, I have had both fired up at the same time. Cura will slice & dice according to which printer is active, and send it to the correct Octopi accordingly. And, other than my wife's laptop, everything is running Ubuntu. This system, my main desktop in my office, my server in the rack in the basement (dual E5-2697v2 Xeons w/ 256G memory & 8x 4TB drives in a raid 10 configuration with 1TB SSD cache & 128G OS drive). One of the only perks of working at Intel (counters the tearing away of my soul).

Now I'm working for a startup. Will be interesting to figure out how to upgrade my toys when the time comes. :P
Lez0
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): JGAurora A5S, Anycubic Photon, Saturn 2

Post by Lez0 »

My main PC is a HP workstation, Xeon with 8 cores 32 GB ram. Solidworks runs great on this, Cura takes an age to load.
Yes they need to speed it up.
kuwar
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Stereolithography

Post by kuwar »

Thanks for this valuable post.well done. :-)
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Thank You ,

WELCOME to 3D Printing Forum.

The Forum has lots of really good posts. If you do not see the answer you seek start a new Thread an ask we we do our upmost to answer.

Return to “Cura”