Cura 2.1 open beta

Discussion of Ultimaker's open-source Cura software
Meduza
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2+, UM3 (F2, UM2EX+ UM3EX, etc at work)

Cura 2.1 open beta

Post by Meduza »

reibuehl
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Re: Cura 2.1 open beta

Post by reibuehl »

Is the option to select the extruder gone in that version? Or is that a definition made implicit through the printer type you select?
drayson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO with mods :-)

Post by drayson »

it seems that it is not ready for dual extrusion :-(
See the release note from Sander...
reibuehl
Reactions:

Post by reibuehl »

Seems like they plan 2.1 to be an "Ultimaker-Forum"-Edition - big hype, new outfit, but a step back in functionality :-(

I will then de-install the beta again and not even bother testing it and rather stick with 15.04 for the near future.
drayson
Reactions:

Post by drayson »

I learned from a post that there is the dual head functionality in and is able to be "hacked" so I assume it will come in near future (hopefully).
But I will do the same as you - stick with 15.04... :-(
nallath
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker

Post by nallath »

reibuehl wrote:Seems like they plan 2.1 to be an "Ultimaker-Forum"-Edition - big hype, new outfit, but a step back in functionality :-(

I will then de-install the beta again and not even bother testing it and rather stick with 15.04 for the near future.
Eh. No. The functionality is still there. It's not even hard to get it right (you can do a ton of things with dual extrusion that isn't possible with old Cura, such as manual selecting what objects should be printed by what extruder, instead of having to rely on loading order).

We simply didn't release any machine definitions with multi extrusion yet. For a big part because we haven't fully tested it (Almost nothing in the old Cura was tested, whereas we now have a QA team and formal code reviews etc).

I personally find it a shame that the comparison between the forum & the new Cura is made. This release is nothing like what happened to the forum (and pretty much why a ton of people are here and not on the UM forums).

So a bit more back on topic;
There is a dual_extrusion_fdmprinter.json, which is a base machine definition for a dual extrusion machine. If you create a new machine definition that inherits from that machine (instead of fdmprinter.json), you should already have most settings correct. It's then a simple matter of adding the right offsets and you're good to go. I don't really get why there is that much fuss about it. Getting a dual extrusion machine setup with the old Cura is about as much fuss, but now you get a ton of features extra.
martin-bienz
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original, prusa i3 mk2

Post by martin-bienz »

Well, I just wanted to say, in general, I like the new Cura. An I really like the updated support structure / generator. I think it's much better than in the old cura... I have not used it too much (other than testing with my UMO, general prints) and I can't comment on Dual extrusion etc. So, it does really well for my "general" every day printing. All I need is there... so far.
Of course there are a few things I don't like vs. the old cura... (for instance, there are still some weird things happening in the interface / render area when rotating, scaling things) but this is with every major change, right? I am sure things will improve over time and functionality will hopefully extend with plugins and else, as it did previously.
Just saying...
reibuehl
Reactions:

Post by reibuehl »

Sorry @nallath if my comparison went a little too far! :oops:

Now that I read your explanation, I realize that we might have a mixup in terminology. What I mean with dual extruder is really selecting Extruder 1 or Extruder 2 for a print job. In my 15.04 version of Cura, I just had to set the number of extruders to 2 and then I have a selection box where I can select Extruder 1 or 2 for my print.
What you describe sounds more like printing with two colors or with support material where a lot more configuration/coordination is needed. Am I understanding this correct?
My setup is simpler, I have Extruder 1 with a 2.85 mm setup and Extruder 2 with a 1.75mm setup where I experiment. I am only looking for the capability to decide which of the two extruders/temp sensors should be used for a single extruder print.
nallath
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker

Post by nallath »

Oh right, that you can do. Just let your Ultimaker printer inherit from dual extrusion fdm printer. Then it should be very easy to do this.
drayson
Reactions:

Post by drayson »

nallath wrote: There is a dual_extrusion_fdmprinter.json, which is a base machine definition for a dual extrusion machine. If you create a new machine definition that inherits from that machine (instead of fdmprinter.json), you should already have most settings correct. It's then a simple matter of adding the right offsets and you're good to go. I don't really get why there is that much fuss about it. Getting a dual extrusion machine setup with the old Cura is about as much fuss, but now you get a ton of features extra.
Ok, I´ll try it with this information.
I know that there is a dual_extrusion_printer.json in the "resources"-folder but how can I select/load it in Cura? Or do I have to replace the content of the ultimaker_original.json with the content of the dual_extrusion_printer.json?
Those are the hurdles I currently face...
:-)
reibuehl
Reactions:

Post by reibuehl »

I created a copy of ultimaker.json as ultimakerRB.json, changed the "inherit" line to point to dual_extrusion_fdmprinter.json and then created a copy of ultimaker2.json as Ultimaker2RB.json. In this file I changed the inherit to ultimakerRB.json and then gave it a different ID and Name. Then you can select that new Name in Cura after a restart.
drayson
Reactions:

Post by drayson »

Huuu... whow... that´s something I would never found out by myself... THANKS a LOT !!!
reibuehl
Reactions:

Post by reibuehl »

You could have just adjusted the inherit line in ultimaker.json but I wanted to not mess with that one as it is referenced in all the other ultimaker profiles.
drayson
Reactions:

Post by drayson »

Successfully done... :-)

next step: setup the nozzle/offset and the custom head dimensions
Blizz
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Prusa: XL, MK4, MK3S+-MMU3, MK3S, Mini, SL1S

Post by Blizz »

I have to say, I do like that new Cura look and the configurability. They've tried to keep it simple for n00bs, allow you to enable more advanced settings if you're comfortable with them and then give you the chance to reach under the hood and change things around if you really want.
Imo a great way to serve your entire audience.
That being said I'm going to remain with Simplify3D at the moment, I still prefer their "navigation" and the fact that I have full control over when it does what. No offence to UM but I still hate that f*ing autoslicing and the entire discussion around it.

Return to “Cura”