Need help with surface finish on a mold piece

Discussion of Ultimaker's open-source Cura software
CismontGuy
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Sovol SV03

Need help with surface finish on a mold piece

Post by CismontGuy »

Hello Forum,

I have a Sovol SV03 printer and .3 nozzle. I am trying to improve the surface finish on the inside of this casting mold I am making.
Would appreciate any help and constructive suggestions. The line weight left behind ruins the surface of the part. Specifically I am
asking what parameters in Cura control the level of detail for interior walls?
1/2 mold part with rough inside finish
1/2 mold part with rough inside finish
shell settings
shell settings
Quality settings
Quality settings
Lez0
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): JGAurora A5S, Anycubic Photon, Saturn 2

Re: Need help with surface finish on a mold piece

Post by Lez0 »

This is what I would expect from 0.2mm Layer Height. I would reduce it to as low as you can, this will improve the quality of the finish.
Lez0
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): JGAurora A5S, Anycubic Photon, Saturn 2

Post by Lez0 »

You will of course need to do a little sanding to get the required finish with fine sandpaper, around 400 - 800 grit.
CismontGuy
Reactions:

Post by CismontGuy »

Thanks I will try a smaller layer height. I am using a high build automotive spray paint to fill the lines but as a result I loose the
required definition of all the corners and faces. Update: Tried .100mm Layer Height and it failed to print the first layer at all
3 times. All that happened was the nozzle got all jammed up! So I changed it to 1.5 and it is printing now. Was 5. hrs 6 min and
now its over 6 hrs? See if the better finish is worth the extra time?

CismontGuy
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

Yeah, those are layer lines consistent with that resolution

Now some matte pla materials generate less layer lines, which might be an option What filament brand is that?
CismontGuy
Reactions:

Post by CismontGuy »

I am using the grey Sovol 1.75mm filament I bought with the printer. I have had real tough time getting it to print all all today.
I have made 5-6 attempts at printing the same part I have printed successfully 5 times before. I am getting no surface adhesion
on the first layer and more stringiness than before. I ended up raising the bed temp 5C and increasing the Z offset which I have
not had to change since new? Waiting to see what attempt 6 looks like?
CismontGuy
Reactions:

Post by CismontGuy »

Here is my day in a nut shell. 6 attempts at printing the same part. No first layer adhesion with a brim, or not. What gives?
brim not sticking 200C 60C bed 15mm/sec print speed
brim not sticking 200C 60C bed 15mm/sec print speed
more attempts for same part
more attempts for same part
current print on the machine with tears in the 1st layer 7mm/sec
current print on the machine with tears in the 1st layer 7mm/sec
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

There are many things that can cause problems with first layer adhesion

Let me name off a few..

Bed not clean (use rubbing alcohol)

Bed not level/nozzle too close/too far. There are many tutorials out there but remember you want the material to go on slightly rounded and not totally flattened out.

Wrong material temperature. If you do some temperature towers, those will demonstrate the best print range for your particular filament. People tend to downplay this and just give it a go at their best guess. I've started doing this a few months ago and it has been very enlightening. Even different colors of the same material can have vastly different results.

Flow Rate/ Extrusion multiplier There are many tutorials on this but after you know the sweet spot for your material temperature, I run one of these. After measuring and doing a few of these, I know my flow is right.

If you get wavy ripples on your first layer, it can indicate you are either too close, too warm or both.

I know this might sound wasteful but I usually chuck the included filament included in the inexpensive printers. I suggest using good, brand name stuff versus the "absolute cheapest I could find online". You wouldn't put cheap gas in a Lamborghini! If you want good results , versus dozens of attempts, use good filament. I like Zyltech, Colorfabb, Hatchbox and PrintedSolid has their Uncle Jessy brand that they make in house.

Return to “Cura”