Cura Type A

Discussion of Ultimaker's open-source Cura software
antiklesys
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO

Re: Cura Type A

Post by antiklesys »

Hi Meduza,

Before doing any live test, have you switched the settings to match your Cura's settings?
That may cause issues otherwise.
Also for saving the start/end gcode there's a big button at the top
avogra
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by avogra »

I have seen this type of infill in a university paper some time ago, maybe a year. I tried to find it again but had no luck so far.
Dim3nsioneer
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original, 2, 2+, 2 Ext+, 3, S5, Form 2

Post by Dim3nsioneer »

So, there are now five different Cura?

Ultimaker Legacy Cura 15.04.6
Ultimaker Cura 2.1.2
Cura LulzBot Edition
Type A Cura
BCN3D Cura

Where does this lead to?

btw: What's the plural of Cura: Curas, Curae, Cure, ...?
Meduza
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2+, UM3 (F2, UM2EX+ UM3EX, etc at work)

Post by Meduza »

antiklesys wrote:Also for saving the start/end gcode there's a big button at the top
The problem was not that i could not save, it was that i could not edit it at all, but i realized why, i had already choosen UltiGcode as the gCode Flavor, which in turn removes the Start/End gcode tab entirely, but it was still applied to the code...

I have not used custom start/end gcodes in years, since about the time that UM2 was released, so i thought that it was Type A machines that had disabled the editing of Start/end gcodes :-)
antiklesys wrote:Before doing any live test, have you switched the settings to match your Cura's settings?
Yep, done that and copied every setting.
Dim3nsioneer wrote:So, there are now five different Cura?
Six, you forgot the "Cura Wanhao edition" for the Wanhao printers.
drayson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO with mods :-)

Post by drayson »

LePaul wrote:
nallath wrote:I think their material profiles only change 3-4 settings. Looks like a lot, but isn't really. Lulzbot also has a fuckton of profiles.

I've sent this to our engine guy, so he can have a look how easy it is to back port the 3d infill into our Cura.
I haven't tried the new Cura...I've opted to play it safe with what I know works for me....but can the new one allow a user to save profiles for different filaments? Yes, that's usually 4 or 5 setting changes, but it would be really handy.
yes, that not more than 4-5 settings, but it´s a great option to link them to the material instead of changing it manually each time you change material. b.t.w. - I created a small excel sheet to support the .cfg-file creation - already posted it here in the forum for your convenience :-)
nallath
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker

Post by nallath »

Dim3nsioneer wrote:So, there are now five different Cura?
Where does this lead to?
This is one of the reasons why we started Cura 2.x. The old cura is really difficult to fork, change layout and then still push changes back into main (due to hard-coded layout stuff). New Cura does not suffer from this. It even has theme files, so it should be pretty easy to create a new look & feel without changing anything in the code (We're still toying with the idea to make a "dark" Cura theme, for those of you that use Cura in dark rooms so you won't be blasted with all white gui stuffs).
It's also so much easier to change what machines should be in a "distro" of Cura.
Dim3nsioneer wrote: btw: What's the plural of Cura: Curas, Curae, Cure, ...?
As Cura is a name, I'd say it be Curas ;)
nallath
Reactions:

Post by nallath »

LePaul wrote: I haven't tried the new Cura...I've opted to play it safe with what I know works for me....but can the new one allow a user to save profiles for different filaments? Yes, that's usually 4 or 5 setting changes, but it would be really handy.
Yes. The 2.2 version even improves on this; That even allows you to use functions for settings. So instead of saying that for PLA the infill speed is 50, you can say that for PLA the infill speed needs to be half of the print speed.

You can also define material profiles that only work with a given machine.
Meduza
Reactions:

Post by Meduza »

nallath wrote:The old cura is really difficult to fork, change layout and then still push changes back into main (due to hard-coded layout stuff). New Cura does not suffer from this. It even has theme files, so it should be pretty easy to create a new look & feel without changing anything in the code
That sounds good, it should be as easy as possible for other manufacturers to help with the development of Cura, and they should be encouraged to do so, both Lulzbot and Type A Machines could easily hire a full time developer to support the Cura development
nallath wrote:It's also so much easier to change what machines should be in a "distro" of Cura.
I do like this, but at the same time i am a little annoyed since Cura for me is about being open, and making it harder to add other printer than <insert brand> that has branded the software kind of breaks this openness.

As a compromise, would it be a reasonable idea to add a "import printer profile" button to the "Add Machine Wizard" to make it easier to import custom printer profiles? With the idea of that the printer profile you import gets permanently added to the Wizard under the section "Other"?
nallath
Reactions:

Post by nallath »

Meduza wrote: As a compromise, would it be a reasonable idea to add a "import printer profile" button to the "Add Machine Wizard" to make it easier to import custom printer profiles? With the idea of that the printer profile you import gets permanently added to the Wizard under the section "Other"?
What profile would it import then? A JSON file? That would only save you the "trouble" of copying the json file by hand.
Meduza
Reactions:

Post by Meduza »

A json file would be fine, it would just be a more user friendly way to do it, to show that the software is ment to be used with different printers, many users are uncomfortable with changing stuff in software directories, and some times they are not even allowed to do so because of policys of their company / school

Another possibility would be a .zip file that also could contain a custom buildplate 3d model etc
nallath
Reactions:

Post by nallath »

Meduza wrote:A json file would be fine, it would just be a more user friendly way to do it, to show that the software is ment to be used with different printers, many users are uncomfortable with changing stuff in software directories, and some times they are not even allowed to do so because of policys of their company / school

Another possibility would be a .zip file that also could contain a custom buildplate 3d model etc
That would be pretty easy to do actually. I'll add it to our tracker.
Amedee
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO / UMO+

Post by Amedee »

You can also have machines in your 'user directory', which is nice because they stay when you upgrade.

(well that's the theory, as there is an inheritance bug in the latest beta -- need to check if it fixed in 2.1.2, otherwise I'll file a bug... )
Meduza
Reactions:

Post by Meduza »

Some weird layer shifting is definatly going on in the 3d infill, look at the back of the robot:
20160617_200725.jpg
Titus
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original+HBK

Post by Titus »

nallath wrote: We're still toying with the idea to make a "dark" Cura theme, for those of you that use Cura in dark rooms so you won't be blasted with all white gui stuffs).
Join the Dark Side!
btw: What's the plural of Cura: Curas, Curae, Cure, ...?
nallath wrote: As Cura is a name, I'd say it be Curas ;)
I wonder how you guys came up with the name though. Looking at the noun cura in Latin, its plural would be curae: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cura#Latin
antiklesys
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO

Post by antiklesys »

Meduza wrote:Some weird layer shifting is definatly going on in the 3d infill, look at the back of the robot:
20160617_200725.jpg
Yes, that is really weird.
I don't have that issue at all...

Return to “Cura”