Cura 2.1.2

Discussion of Ultimaker's open-source Cura software
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Cura 2.1.2

Post by LePaul »

Is it a known issue that despite fans being unchecked for a print, the fans still turn on?
LePaul
Reactions:

Re: Cura 2.1.2

Post by LePaul »

Well here's my experience with 2.1.2 so far....

Overall, the prints I have been working on the past 2 days (8 items, each 6.5 hours) look good. I still have stringing of this circular part but it seems 2.1.2 works a bit better at it that 15.04.2

Coasting seems to be very effective in helping the retractions work better.

The interface...I am sorry...it completely sucks. The constant re-slicing, pauses....layer view is just awful. Having to toggle on options to adjust them completely sucks. I'm also not a fan of the options being on the right when they used to be on the left, etc. It's just horribly clunky to work with.

The color scheme annoys me. Light grey on white....ick. I really thought the old setup worked just fine.

I also miss the overhang views and xray on the side.

Anyways...I'm trying to like this new version but it's proving annoying to work in and toggle on/off settings. I never appreciate the old Cura til I installed this one :)
Meduza
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2+, UM3 (F2, UM2EX+ UM3EX, etc at work)

Post by Meduza »

Well, i actually think that the turn on/off what settings that should show is a pretty good thing compared to not being able to edit the settings at all like it is in legacy cura :-)
Izzy
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by Izzy »

It's a shame that we can't do more with Cura, and I admit too that it looks bland, I would love to get CraftWare running, I'm not sure how to set it up fully and get it UM2ed. The ability to add your our support and have support trees is great, and it's colours scheme and settings etc look feally nice.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Custom support structures would be great, I agree.
danilius
Reactions:

Post by danilius »

I have spend way too much time trying to get Cura 2.1.2 to do what I want, but have run out of time. I need single layer view, better profile management, and when in layer view every layer should remain persistent, by that I mean when moving from layer to layer, each layer should not have to be re-calculated for drawing. There are a host of other issues, such as the dialogue box not being the UBuntu system one and that retractions don't show up, so it has a long way to go until I can switch to it for production work.
drayson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO with mods :-)

Post by drayson »

Hmmm... has anybody tried to compile a 2.2 from Github master?
Meduza
Reactions:

Post by Meduza »

From the Ultimaker IRC channel:
[13:53:15] <nallath> There is time for much rejoice; johan_k's pull request has been merged. The layer view is now faster than the old Cura.
This is good news, next version will have a layer view that is many times faster!
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Well having worked with developers for a long time....that's good news. But what will get broken :)

I wonder, does Cura work better with more powerful video cards? I'm curious if performance is dependent on cpu/ram or if it leans heavily on gpu?

I have an Intel i7 with 32gb of RAM and a solid state disk. Most program work great...except ones that lean on gpu. Since my laptop has a Intel chipset and not a dedicated video card, programs like SolidWorks and some other CAD programs can sit and spin trying to render too
ivan.akapulko
Reactions:

Post by ivan.akapulko »

LePaul wrote:Well having worked with developers for a long time....that's good news. But what will get broken :)

I wonder, does Cura work better with more powerful video cards? I'm curious if performance is dependent on cpu/ram or if it leans heavily on gpu?

I have an Intel i7 with 32gb of RAM and a solid state disk. Most program work great...except ones that lean on gpu. Since my laptop has a Intel chipset and not a dedicated video card, programs like SolidWorks and some other CAD programs can sit and spin trying to render too
Maybe it depends from software stack, used by Ultimaker. Never heard about good compatiblity of Perl with GPU resources.
Meduza
Reactions:

Post by Meduza »

Perl? Most of it is written in Python... and it relies pretty heavily on CPU

I have seen the difference on Johan's dev-version before he submitted the pull request, and it is a crazy speed improvement over the 2.1.2 layer view
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Well I hate the slicer pauses just going through the layer view. It's unusable for me...pause...pause...pause...

On this print...it's putting support in the midst of an area where there's no overhang or anything....??
between_supports.JPG
Dim3nsioneer
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original, 2, 2+, 2 Ext+, 3, S5, Form 2

Post by Dim3nsioneer »

Are you sure there is no overhang? Can you show the first layer please?
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Post by Neotko »

Yeah maybe it's just the default minimum angle for supports. Old cura has 60 degrees and probably new cura has a more realistic 45
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Ah I'm at work....let me download and install it...so first later in layer view...will do.

Return to “Cura”