Cura 2.4 kills print quality

Discussion of Ultimaker's open-source Cura software
nilrog
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+

Cura 2.4 kills print quality

Post by nilrog »

Cura 2.4 is a huge step backwards in print quality compared to 15.x...with default settings...unless you have a rock solid bed. I was just trying to print some parts that were sliced with the new 2.4 and when printing you could clearly see the bed vibrating when the head was moving.The part was like a gear with infill so there were a lot of curves and moves when it was printing the gears and the infill. But that didn't stop 15.x from being pretty decent from scratch.

This will take a lot of time to try to dial in to something useful :-(
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Re: Cura 2.4 kills print quality

Post by LePaul »

Yeah I was getting the rumbling sound on some prints recently, I hadn't had that in a while. Lot's of bed movement noted too
nilrog
Reactions:

Post by nilrog »

I haven't heard that yet...

Printing the same part sliced with 15.04 now and yes, the bed still vibrates, but less than with 2.4. And you can clearly see that infill etc. is done at a lot higher speed/acceleration in 2.4.

And this is with identical visible speed settings. So they have apparently done a lot of changes under the hood...not necessarily for the better.

Time to do something about the unstable bed :)
nallath
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker

Post by nallath »

You can change the acceleration & jerk settings. We don't have the "truth" when it comes to settings. On the other hand, it's also not fair to say that the settings overall are worse, they are worse for the things that you are printing (which is the problem we're facing right now; There is no such thing as "the perfect profile" as certain objects need different settings!)
nilrog
Reactions:

Post by nilrog »

Regardless of print, infill alone with 2.x will make your bed vibrate a lot more than with 15.04. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that parameters have been upped in 2.x when you compare print times to 15.04 with comparable visible settings.

Since Cura is developed by the makers of Ultimaker you expect that for their own printers the out-of-the-box experience should be good.

That said 2.x is a huge improvement over 15.04...so hats of to the team :)
But it is not that straightforward to move over from 15.04. Especially when some hidden settings overrides the visible settings.

Return to “Cura”