Skipping Y Axis at intersections

Discussion about Simplify 3D software
cduck28z
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Geeetech A10M

Skipping Y Axis at intersections

Post by cduck28z »

TLDR; Y axis is skipping. Troubleshot hardware, not sure what to do with software

Good afternoon,
I'm trying to set up my Geeetech A10M and have run into some problems. It appears that my Y motor is skipping when there is some sort of profile change. This could be a new geometry, or a hole, an overhang, or any major change in the geometry at all. But it's not always consistent in the EXACT same spot, but it is a repeatable process if the same part is printed twice. I've attached an example (one of the more benign examples).

I've already ripped apart my bed and made sure the tension wasn't too tight or too loose. Everything is very stable. I've adjusted the tension on my drive belt.

Here are some settings I pulled from the display:
Accel: 3000
A-retract: 3000
A-travel: 3000
amax X: 3000
amax Y: 3000
amax Z: 100
Amax E: 10000
Vx-jerk: 20
Vy-jerk: 20
Vz-jerk: +0.40
Ve-jerk: 5

I'm using Simplify3D as my slicer and have adjusted the speed from 100 down to 40 and have seen the same problem each time. Thank you in advance and I look forward to meeting the 3D printing community!

PS. The file model that was printed for this example is a prototype with just 1 layer and a 10% infill
Attachments
2019-07-25.jpg
2019-07-25 (2).jpg
2019-07-25 (1).jpg
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Re: Skipping Y Axis at intersections

Post by LePaul »

I have an A10 that has been nothing but issues once out of the box. I won't bore you with the long version of the problems and lack of help from Geeetech. But in short, had they powered the thing on after assembly, they would have quickly realized this machine had a lot of problems.

Lousy QC and support aside...

That's the 2-into1 hotend as I recall.

First, yes, do not try printing crazy fast like 100 mm/s That's challenging even for high end hardware. The Geeetech's are the vast extreme in the other direction. Start with 40 mm/s and fine tune from there.

I'm curious what your voltage is for the Y axis. Since that's doing the most work moving a large bed, it might be worth metering and seeing what sort of reading you get. Generally if it is too low, you get the skipping you see in your results.

Now what puzzles me is the "exact same spot", which would lead me to suspect the hardware, which you have checked and inspected.
cduck28z
Reactions:

Post by cduck28z »

Thank you very much for your reply. This is my second 3D printer but I still have very limited experience with the details and technical aspects like firmware, etc. I am not sure how to check things like voltage input?

I've printed several test pieces and you are right about the speed. I've seen all the videos of people printing at 80-120mm/s and that was just too high for my machine. Dialing it back to 40-60mm/s seems to be about it's max speed.

It seems weird to me though about how it is glitching. It makes 'beautiful' prints when there are no changes in the layers. Why would printing just a different shape cause such drastic problems; isn't it all just X, Y, Z, inptus?
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

That's a great question. Mine is having some weird issues as well, mostly along Z

Side note...print slower. Most of my prints are on the larger side, on my bigger prints. I'd rather print slower and wait longer for a great results.....versus push my printer (made from the cheapest stuff China could find) only to have it fail and start over again. :)
cduck28z
Reactions:

Post by cduck28z »

SOLVED:

I turned down both my Jerk and Acceleration settings in my firmware to 1/2 their original speed (1500mm/s if i do recall) and it salved my problem instantly

Return to “Simplify 3D”