Simplify3D vs Cura comparison

Discussion about Simplify 3D software
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Simplify3D vs Cura comparison

Post by LePaul »

I wish i could get Simplify 3D tuned in on my UMO to try out....

Neat video...quite the differences with results

Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Re: Simplify3D vs Cura comparison

Post by Neotko »

LePaul sorry but for the eleven time. Use the profile I shared! ....

And. S3D learing curve it's high but cura beta still it's far from what can be done withs3d. And that video test its crap XD anyhow s3d it's better if you are willing to do a gazillion test cubes to control 40 settings in your head :D
Amedee
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO / UMO+

Post by Amedee »

It is a very simplistic review....

And from the video they are clearly not printing at the same speed.

I don't have an opinion to share on that topic, but I wouldn't base any decision on such a kind of review...
drayson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO with mods :-)

Post by drayson »

I looked around a long time to get a "trial version" but seems that there is´nt...
Buying a SW without testing is something I usually don´t like to do especially when priced over 100€

On the other hand I´m very interested in getting dual nozzle prints done and here I see no progress in cura so switching to S3D might be an option...

@ Neotko, I saw you shared Umo Plus and UM2 basic profiles - are they also applicable for the UMO (without "plus")?
nilrog
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+

Post by nilrog »

drayson wrote:Buying a SW without testing is something I usually don´t like to do especially when priced over 100€
That's my main gripe too. It's probably worth it. But still... :/
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

Umm there are some 'of that'... If you dig deep
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

The main problem it's that I seen many thinking that s3d would magically make better prints and that so no true. There are lots of settings that intersect and it's a rough learning curve. The basic videos from s3d (youtube) show just the tip of what can do. Oh and ofc there's room for improvement. I bought it a year and a half ago and was well worth it, but the documentation (until they made some posts on the forums and the videos) was very short.
nallath
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker

Post by nallath »

As far as I can see, s3d only has two features that Cura doesn't have; Manual support placement and changing settings at a certain height.

Am I correct in that observation?
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

nallath wrote:As far as I can see, s3d only has two features that Cura doesn't have; Manual support placement and changing settings at a certain height.

Am I correct in that observation?
Sorry but no...

Let me show just some basic stuff shots.

Object grouping and control, very easy, very very very very very VERY fast

Coast at end + wipe nozzle + retracts on wipe = no Z scar, almost zero dripping between moves.

Select the extruder (you can make duplicates of the extruders with different settings and use them as variables)
Also, much easier to understand number of top/bottom layers. Not height, number of layers. I print at 0.2 so 5 layers for this text will be 1.0. Outlines, if my nozzle it's 0.32 then 0.32 x 2. If I change my nozzle size this will be bigger.

Dual support. Everything customizable per process.

You can customize, and make infill patterns by shifting the INFILL ANGLE, you can add as much as you need. Really nice for some weird objects or to make them stronger using different patterns. Also you can make the process to print a solid layer every X number of layers.

Adjust temp by layers, and tools, you don't need to make anything else. If you know your model needs to change nozzle temp at some point, you just check with the gcode viewer the layer number and set it here.

Fan control, No need to go from 0 to 100 when you can go 20-50-20-30 in any order. Also it has Blip option for custom fans (and now UMO+/UMO has that thanks to the @amedee firmware builder)
Also, You can set a minimum layer speed and a maximum reduction speed, so it will adjust each layer to the minimum speed.

Per process bed settings, offset, z, etc. This it's just one process. Each one could have different settings.

Scripts, easy to write, not way too powerfull, but quite ok scecially if you need something special like dual extrusion.

Print speeds. Set a basic, and undercut or overdrive the outline, infill, support. It could have more speed settings, but when you get use to it it works very good. Also check the Bridging customizable options

Check the option Avoid crossing outline for travel, you can custom the length of the travel (very usefull to use it as a wipe and then it moves = less marks on head movement). I don't use it except for low quality prints. It's better just the clean wipe retracts.
Also check wall behavior. That's a hard stuff to control but when you adjust this stuff with a mix of the amount of infill % you can get very interesting thinks on small top layers without having to touch the speed.
Also, for this process I could make it stop printing at some height or start at some height..

TOTAL freedom to x/y/z place objects with real precision, not just mouse but x/y/z units and very easy grouping, ungrouping, moving, autocentering grouped stuff, etc.

Per process object select

Also, it don't stay processing gcode all the time. But it process gcode very very very very fast.

So...

I couldn't resist XD
nallath
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker

Post by nallath »

Almost all of the features that you mention are in the new Cura ;)
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

And I must say that new cura it's looking better and better. But for me isn't enough atm. Keep the great work! Also S3D guys support it's just plain the worse you can imagine. And documentation pfff..
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

nallath wrote:Almost all of the features that you mention are in the new Cura ;)
This is good to hear. Cura's interface is well known and well laid out. S3D...I'm still finding things. Neotko should do some YouTube tutorials on it! :)
Izzy
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by Izzy »

Ok so I've been using Simplify3D for just over a week now with PLA & ABS,
Below is a list of all the things that I don't like about it.
1) :roll: ;-) :lol: nope there's nothing so far it's great. :-D
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I've found S3D to be awful to rotate and move objects around in. I have some parts that barely fit the build plate and require a lot of work to align properly since they are curved. Cura...I can do it. S3D...wholly crap, where's the ability to move and move an object around an axis?
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

LePaul wrote:I've found S3D to be awful to rotate and move objects around in. I have some parts that barely fit the build plate and require a lot of work to align properly since they are curved. Cura...I can do it. S3D...wholly crap, where's the ability to move and move an object around an axis?

Return to “Simplify 3D”