Discussion about Simplify 3D software
martin-bienz
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original, prusa i3 mk2

Re: Simplify3d basic guide

Post by martin-bienz »

LePaul wrote:I think we got the price down to $140 that way
Wow... a hefty discount! *sarcasm*

I am thinking of buying S3D since a long time. But I allways keep reminding myself, that cura does what I need, no problem. Once I find a use case where I "really" need it: I will finally hit buy.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

That's my issue...and Neotko will gently tease me for not taking the time to learn S3D :) But for most of my prints, Cura works

However...the BB-8 builders are having enormous and continuous success with S3D on those multiple 20+ hour prints and consistently good results.
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Post by Neotko »

Added "GROUPING AND PROCESS" as a EDIT 18/04/16 on the Main post. Very interesting if you plan to use more than 1 process and want to do changes on the common settings.
Dim3nsioneer
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original, 2, 2+, 2 Ext+, 3, S5, Form 2

Post by Dim3nsioneer »

Just tried Neotko's profile published here in the first post. Only changes: 0.8mm nozzle and line width on the first page.
It almost killed my UM2.
It started with the wipe which was performed over the left rear glass clip!!! The retract movement was very strange (sounded like skipping and grinding together; I have a Bondtech QR3). The quality was awful. I aborted the print as I don't want to destroy my printer. That's not the way to go.
I think I'll work on my own profile for S3D. So far I'm rather disappointed with S3D but I'm aware it has a steeper learning curve than Cura.
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

The starting sequence on the gcode might work better with an umo+ indeed.

On this tab you can upload your um2 starting sequence

Dim3nsioneer
Reactions:

Post by Dim3nsioneer »

I think one problem is the 'wipe' feature compared with the start position at the back and a starting position close to the center of the bed.
Maybe one should add a G0 movement to X0 Y100 then the wipe movement is conducted over the glass edge and not over the clip.
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

Sure. I always think about adding that indeed. My starting sequence isn't like the default s3d, but it works for me. Also on umo I can't hit the bed clips even if I try.

Also remember that I never printed with 2.85mm filament and maybe the purge start it's a bit too fast and too much material since I push E12

If you get the starting sequence from default profile remember to remove the s3d line that they added that changes the amps of the extruder to 1400.
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

Oh I get it um2 has the endstops on the other side. Well indeed my profile gcode start sucks for um2. I'll try to get the default profile and just change the basic stuff to change it to what I use for fast prints 50-70mm/s 0.2 layer.
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

Btw the learing curve of s3d it's quite weird. The first 6months with my umo I stayed away from it. And until I started to need clean top layers and many process I did just used cura because it just prints. For s3d you need to really need something extra out of the prints.

Btw there's also a very nice guide (I don't agree on some stuff) but he it's very through on the settings analysis.

https://0x7d.com/2015/01/a-guide-to-hig ... 3d-prints/

Even when it's for 2.x version it explain many of the options.
Dim3nsioneer
Reactions:

Post by Dim3nsioneer »

Ok, I managed to produce a much nicer profile for my UM2. However, I still loose filament due to oozing on combing moves. Does anyone have a recommendation for this? I tried to play around with the detour factor. It's 5 atm. Maybe I have to switch off combing all together by deselecting the first option of ooze control?
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

Oozong on combing. You mean that when it goes back to print it leaves gap? If so, change the value to 1-2 I think that's what frederiekpascal use for his um2+ I help him tune his profile by a long 30 pm's. Drop him a pm he uses s3d only now and must have a good profile done.
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

I been playing with wipe and coasting since today I got a lot of free time for the first time in 3 weeks. And.. well.

Coasting distance, works much better with very very very short distances like 0,04-0,20. Using like I used before distances of 0.40-0.60 creates an error on the print, when doing a TON of retracts and extruding very small amounts of material, like my little texts that are on a process that uses 0.32-0.36. There's a point that makes it under extrude the text after the 3-4layer because there are errors on the restart after a retract since some material has been lost on the wipe/retract. Specially when printing more than 1 at the same time. With just 1 it happens but ... well... depends on the material mostly.

About wipe:

If you activate Wipe nozzle and you have 'Perform retraction during wipe movement' then the distance you set for 'Wipe nozzle' it doesn't matter. It will wipe as much time as the retracts takes place. So if you retract faster the wipe distance will change. Also it will only wipe if the minimum travel for retraction kicks in, so it won't wipe always, but only when he can.

To be able to control wipe nozzle, you must deactivate the perform retraction during wipe, but that also removes the retraction. So... It's quite like juggling balls.

Ofc the amount of filament lost could be controlled with extra restart distance. But that would need a very fine tune with a big amount of print tests.

Resuming:
a) Save coasting for very drippy filaments
b) Wipe nozzle + advanced 'perform retract during wipe' cancels the distance of the wipe with as much as he needs to retract (so retraction speed + distance defines this)
c) Wipe alone without retraction can be controlled.

This it's how the retraction speed affects how much distance will the wipe do when te option 'perform retract during wipe' it's enabled.

Izzy
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by Izzy »

I went down to a local reseller this morning to get some ColorFabb filament, and whilst there we were chatting as you do and I got a demo of Simplify3D :-P , I was impressed and so purchased a copy, and I must say I really do like it, the print quality is definitely better it seems to control the printer to a finer degree.
The only thing I would like to do is change some of the starting script to bring it back to the Cura settings for starting and priming, Simplify3D is just slightly slower and has an extra X movement and a wipe before starting the print which I would rather cutout.
Does anybody have the details of an editor I can use to interagate a Cura file or list the beginning for me. :geek:
Cheers, Izzy
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

Sure. Fisrt change the speed settings to mm/s (preferences). Also on the scripts (open advance mode for the full tabs) you can edit/insert the starting/ending sequence you used on cura
Izzy
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by Izzy »

Cheers Neotko,do you happen to know what the default Cura ones are :-?

Return to “Simplify 3D”