Slicer behavior in solid objects

Discussion about Simplify 3D software
nilrog
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+

Slicer behavior in solid objects

Post by nilrog »

Can someone, smarter than me, be so kind and explain why S3D slices a solid model this way?

This example is a cap for a fidget spinner...but the same behavior is observed anytime I slice a 100% solid object (infill set to 100%) with similar shapes.
Skärmavbild 2017-06-19 kl. 22.45.58.png
In my world this creates a less rigid object than if each layer would be "one object". Either it is bug...or a "feature", in which case i'm missing something :P

Slicing the same object in Cura 2.6 Beta yields a more expected result.
Skärmavbild 2017-06-19 kl. 23.01.27.png
MTVDNA
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Re: Slicer behavior in solid objects

Post by MTVDNA »

I think it has something to do with top/bottom solid layers. If you set them to 0 but use 100% infill that should do the trick I think.
nilrog
Reactions:

Post by nilrog »

Hmm, interesting behavior...you are correct that I get what I expect if I change both of them to 0.

Thanks! :)
MTVDNA
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by MTVDNA »

I've been surprised by that before too. Apparently S3D treats infill differently even if you set it to 100%. Sometimes it seems weird. On the other hand, you can print solid objects where the infill has higher layer height than the perimeters. Might have be useful in some cases.

Edit: spelling :-?
Last edited by MTVDNA on June 19th, 2017, 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nilrog
Reactions:

Post by nilrog »

I can see some logic behind it. In some ways you need to "think different" when you use S3D compared to Cura. And I mean that in a good way 🙂

There is a lot to learn about S3D but so far I'm happy that I switched over to it.
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Post by Neotko »

Is your object a really solid full bolean one ? S3D is really touchy about perfect files. Use free only netfabb file fixer just in case.

If that fails. Try to be sure is just one object (using separate parts option (can't recall the name atm))

And if that fails just change the layer height to 0.0001+ of your current layer height. So if is 0.2 change it to 0.2001
nilrog
Reactions:

Post by nilrog »

Could be...after all this is a file downloaded from Internet :P I will check it tonight.

I will also try your +0.0001 layer height trick tonight...remember seeing it before, but I forgot about it.

Return to “Simplify 3D”