How to model builtin support structures?

reibuehl
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

How to model builtin support structures?

Post by reibuehl »

Hi all,

I am currently working on a part where the generated support of slicers doesn't work to well and I would like to add custom supports already in the CAD file. To get structures that break away easy but aren't removed by the slicer, I am now looking for tips and tricks on how to size them. Do you have experience in that area? How thick should such a support structure be? I noticed that features that are exactly the nozzle diameter seem to be "optimized" away by the slicer sometimes. How do you connect the model and the support structure? Just in a few places to ensure that it becomes one object in the STL file or everywhere were it touches the model?

Best regards,
Reiner
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Re: How to model builtin support structures?

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I have always wanted to know how to do this, sometimes it could be best if you can make your own supports.
Lez0
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): JGAurora A5S, Anycubic Photon, Saturn 2

Post by Lez0 »

I design my own parts so I can customise them to suit. At time Cura doesn't put supports where they are needed, more often puts supports or a brim where I don't want it. I usually make the supports 0.5/0.6mm wide where it meets the part, anything less and it doesn't seem to work, the same for a brim. They seems to be no "Sliver bullet" that fits all, you have to use a bit of common sense, and guesswork.
reibuehl
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by reibuehl »

Yes, 0.5 seems to be the minimum width to prevent the slicer from not generating g-code for a support wall. Do you let your support touch the area it supports on the full length or keep a gap of one layer? I have seen this sometimes that there is a one layer gap or the last layer only has a few high spots where it touches the structure above.
Lez0
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): JGAurora A5S, Anycubic Photon, Saturn 2

Post by Lez0 »

I make the supports touch. I have never thought of leaving a gap, good idea.

Return to “CAD and 3D Modeling Software”