Cad Software

Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Cad Software

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Purchase a Replacement for TiinkerCad.

Currently I use TinkerCad Online, but what if if is no longer available.

Looking for something inexpensive that has similar features and will create STL or Amf files.
nilrog
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+

Re: Cad Software

Post by nilrog »

Fusion 360 is free as long as you don't make >$100000/yr. Onshape is also available for free, but with the free version all your creations has to be public.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

nilrog wrote: June 18th, 2017, 4:37 pm Fusion 360 is free as long as you don't make >$100000/yr. Onshape is also available for free, but with the free version all your creations has to be public.
Thank you!

Been looking at Fusion 360 Did not know it was free For hobbyist.

Now learning how to work with Fusion 360, trying one of there samples of a Electrical conduit from their video's.
nilrog
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+

Post by nilrog »

Fusion 360 is nice...a bit of a learning curve if you are used to Tinkercad, Sketchup et.al...but not that hard imo.

Onshape is nice in the sense that you can do all work from a browser...anywhere...like Tinkercad...as opposed to Fusion 360 which requires you to install an application.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

nilrog wrote: June 19th, 2017, 7:13 am Fusion 360 is nice...a bit of a learning curve if you are used to Tinkercad, Sketchup et.al...but not that hard imo.
Learning curve is not really an issue. It is the time it takes me to familiarize with it, to do this requires me seeing it done.
Video Tutorials works best for me as the words get confusing, I forget what was read the minute before understanding what it said.

Finished the First tutorial building a Type LB Conduit Body. This was 3 - 20 minutes videos watch a few minutes, duplicate what was in the video.
It took me about 3 hours to complete a 1 hour video tutorial. Now I can build any small box with a lid.

I can redesign my Hictop Controller Cover, looks nice now but will look professional when finished.
https://www.tinkercad.com/things/h0AXk5 ... r-cover-v4

This will come in handy as I have wanted to build so many small projects and little boxes are so expensive, I am taking Cases that look like Brand New Store sold Equipment, not build with a piece of pref board and tictac container.
Last edited by Roberts_Clif on June 22nd, 2017, 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Post by GrueMaster »

Roberts_Clif wrote: June 19th, 2017, 8:11 pm I can redesign my Hictop Controller Cover, looks nice now but will look professional when finished.
Bad link. Would love to see the finished project though.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

GrueMaster wrote: June 22nd, 2017, 9:49 am
Roberts_Clif wrote: June 19th, 2017, 8:11 pm I can redesign my Hictop Controller Cover, looks nice now but will look professional when finished.
Have not redesigned it yet. Looks like they updated the Site web links changed.

Last edited by Roberts_Clif on July 13th, 2017, 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

GrueMaster wrote: June 22nd, 2017, 9:49 am
Just now finished the Remake - Hictop Controller Cover

Image2.jpg

If you downloaded this New Cover don't Print It, after a few days discovered I made the skirt too short on the Stepper side and it fails EFI tests.

Hictop Cover v2.stl

New with Longer Skirt
Hictop Controller Cover v4.stl
(787.19 KiB) Downloaded 586 times

This STL is from The Designer to all for Free for "NONCOMMERCIAL USE ONLY | NOT FOR SALES".
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Best Controller Card Cover / Case posted here
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Returning to this Old Post.

While I was helping RodB another 3D Printer User, was trying to upload his Fusion Model without luck.
Web site told me to use a Fusion 360 desktop app. "What!" Did not have any desktop apps used online.

Installed Fusion 360 desktop App now I can model Online or offline all for Free.
Alexhales
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Formlabs 2

Post by Alexhales »

There are a number of Pros and cons of CAD Software & Services which really depend on your business type and size.

1. If you only need small amounts of Cad work doing then a pay-as-you-need service will save you paying for a full-time employee.

2. I'm not the fastest at Cad but I don't do it all the time now so a Cad service would produce drawings faster than me, but I find we loose a lot of time going back and forth with changes.

3. The changes and number of revisions can start to mount up the cost but this depends on the contract with the Cad service.

4. A Cad service is great for a standard design, but if it's anything out of the ordinary that's when time is lost due to communicating the design, some outline sketches we get are difficult to understand until broken down.

4. Having a freelance Cad engineer who can come into the office as and when they are needed has worked well for us.

5. Using a freelance Cad engineer or off-site service saves money on the AutoCAD licenses, software, and employee training.

6. An in-house Cad engineer will always produce drawings and changes quicker but it's an expensive resource to have sat around half the time.

Visit for more info: https://www.indiacadworks.com/

Return to “CAD and 3D Modeling Software”