Need help continuing a print.

Have a print that has problems? Need some feedback? Post it here.
Shadyghost
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ender 3 Pro

Need help continuing a print.

Post by Shadyghost »

Hello forum. I have a problem I need some help with. I have an ender 3 printer and I'm trying to complete a print that consists of two different filaments.

I missed my pause window I created though Cura gcode editing and the print head lost z height when the stepper motors cycled off. From past experience this means the ender will just blunder through the print when resuming and fail.

The good thing is the print was successful up until it paused for the filament change. The bottom filament is tpu so bed adhesion isn't an issue. The bad thing is I don't know exactly how to resume the print. I know there is a way to begin print from any point and it should be easy because of the built in pause, I just don't know exactly how to do it.
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Re: Need help continuing a print.

Post by GrueMaster »

I had something similar happen when printing a headphone stand. The printer powercycled or something (can't remember now). First thing to do is rehome Z only (not sure on the Ender 3, but my CR-10S and Hictop 3DP-17 both have gantries that would prevent homing X & Y in this situation). Then raise Z to the correct height. I assume you have the new filament in, primed, and ready to print before starting this? Try to get the printhead to the correct starting point using either Cura or Octoprint to send the commands. You will have to edit the gcode file as well so that it starts where you need it to. You can preview the gcode in Cura. Delete all of the movement up to the point that you want to resume. Then start and see what happens.

In my case, alignment was off by ~1mm, causing a ridge in the legs of the headphone stand (it prints on its back, no supports needed).
20180226_004831.jpg
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

A case of whisky in the background....that's MY kind of shop!
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Post by GrueMaster »

Actually, that was a box containing an old (80's) set of encyclopedias (hard copy of Wikipedia for the millennials in the forum). I wouldn't use MacNaughton whiskey to treat snake bites on my enemies.

Return to “Help me fix this print!”