Malformed prints

Have a print that has problems? Need some feedback? Post it here.
Durango.Red
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Elegoo Mars

Malformed prints

Post by Durango.Red »

Good morning all,
1st, I am somewhat new to 3D resin printing although I have been at it off and on for the last year. My problem is this, whenever I print larger model pieces the top ( where the supports meet the print ) tends to be smoother and slightly malformed (the more supports the worse it is) yet the bottom half is perfect. I am using an Elegoo Mars, Elegoo Beige (skin tone) resin and standard Chitobox settings for the printer although I have experimented by changing the times, different supports ( more and less ) and print orientation but it still happens. I will update with a picture later as I am at work and wanted to put this out there as I keep forgetting.
Lez0
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): JGAurora A5S, Anycubic Photon, Saturn 2

Re: Malformed prints

Post by Lez0 »

Hi
I also get this, depending on the print sometimes worse than others. From what I understand this is normal, you have to orientate the print so the good side is where you want it. If you can get away without supports you won't have this problem. I think the reason is that at the end of the support there is a small round stem, this goes onto a larger face ie the part, this forms a thin slice of plastic that is only supported in a small area, so the thin plastic get distorted a little due to the up and own of the printing action.
If you orientate the part at say 45° this reduces the effect, usually.

Lez

Return to “Help me fix this print!”