BL Touch ender 3 pro

Have a print that has problems? Need some feedback? Post it here.
FilipFrissen
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ender 3Pro V 4.2.2

BL Touch ender 3 pro

Post by FilipFrissen »

I bought a BL Touch kit Yesterday and tried to install it this evening, thought this would just be a quick install :-x . I followed a tutorial about how to install the firmware and found a post on reddit. The post said this:

Hi guys, I recently bought an Ender 3 Pro and a BLTouch sensor expecting to be able to find a tutorial I could follow that would take me one step at a time through the installation process. However, the Ender 3 I received came with an updated 4.2.2 mainboard making it an Ender 3 Pro v1.5 as opposed to the Ender 3 Pro I thought I'd be working on.
The new mainboard meant most tutorials were no longer useful. The only videos I could find for installing the BLTouch on the 4.2.2 board were for the Ender 3 v2 - the one with the big ole LCD panel, meaning it would take different firmware than what I could find easily available.
I was able to get it working by following two separate video tutorials, the first to build Marlin firmware for my Ender 3 Pro and the second to modify that Marlin firmware to run a BLTouch.
I don't purport to be an expert in building firmware or adding functionalities to the Ender 3, but this worked for me and at the beginning of the process I was totally lost. If this post helps one other person avoid that confusion, it will have been worth it. :)

This video shows how to build and install Marlin firmware on the 4.2.2 mainboard:

Then once you have Marlin, you can follow this video to install the BLTouch and update your Marlin firmware to run it:

QUICK UPDATE: I've noticed a few people mention that theres some slight differences in pinouts between the new mainboards and the old mainboards, meaning the blt wiring harness might not have it's wires arranged in the correct order for your board. You can take a paper clip and release the conductors from the plastic connector on the end of the wiring harness and rearrange the wires into whatever order your board needs. Connecting things up in the wrong places can fry stuff! Make sure your connector's wire order matches with your boards pinouts! If you have the 4.2.2 mainboard, you're probably safe to just match the wire order I showed in my pictures.

After almost completing the first video i couldnt download the compiled bin file. After trouble shooting for an hour i finally came to a file and loaded it on the computer, but the firmware never updated and i had a blank screen. Does someone know to reset it or does anyone know a fix to install the bltouch firmware. Please.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Re: BL Touch ender 3 pro

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Creality firmware located Here download the original to restore functions.
FilipFrissen
Reactions:

Post by FilipFrissen »

Can i just put that zip file on the printer micro sd? And than it will do a full reset?
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

No.

You have to select your 3D Printers original firmware.
Then you need to unzip the zip file. some zip files include multiple hex files so you have to select the correct hex file.

Wish it was easier, maybe someone has a hex file they would upload one that is BL-Touch already.
You can then watch this video on how to re-install your hex file.
You may note that on this first URL under "Creality Stock Firmware " they also list a URL to the stock firmware.
And even more information here an here

An hopefully you have not killed your bootloader, if so you will need to re-install this as well.
FilipFrissen
Reactions:

Post by FilipFrissen »

I downloaded the zip file “Ender-3 pro 4.2.2 mainboard firmware (32 bit). I extracted the files and looked for a .hex file as you said. But all I saw were .bin files. I tried the bin file but I did nothing and the screen stayed blank. What am I doing wrong?
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Watch this Video

The important part is at the end, though I would watch the entire video for educational purposes.
FilipFrissen
Reactions:

Post by FilipFrissen »

Followed all the steps successfully. Except the last one. The screen stays blank. Are there any more things I can do now
FilipFrissen
Reactions:

Post by FilipFrissen »

Forgot the question mark.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I will do some research.

By the way you can edit your post to add the question mark.
FilipFrissen
Reactions:

Post by FilipFrissen »

Any succes with the research? Thank you so much for all the help btw.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

To flash the compiled firmware binary onto the board you must give the "firmware.bin" file on the SD card a unique name,
different from the name of the previous firmware file, or you will be greeted with a blank screen on the next boot.

I would rename stock firmware and try again.
FilipFrissen
Reactions:

Post by FilipFrissen »

Also didn’t work. I think i uploaded a .rar file before my screen turned blank. Maybe the .rar file is the problem?
FilipFrissen
Reactions:

Post by FilipFrissen »

Hello?
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

We are here!!!