More issues with cura and bad prints!

Have a print that has problems? Need some feedback? Post it here.
bmz
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): anet a3

More issues with cura and bad prints!

Post by bmz »

Im just having a terrible time getting a good print. I have covered the basics and keep running into one issue after another.

Latest issue, cura adding support structure where none is wanted. I have this drawing, has large open areas. I want to print with no support. So, in cura the layer view shows no support, just as I want. However, when it prints, it makes the support framework inside my open areas. Reason I do not want support is because I am printing in armadillo tpu 75d, and this stuff is extremely tough. Its nearly impossible to cut these supports out once its finished. The filament sticks fine on blue tape so no support is needed. Inside the open areas, there is no over hang, just vertical wall.

What am I doing wrong? I am having many troubles with cura not interpreting the stl files correctly.
Attachments
tomy arm.JPG
IMG_20171204_092406.jpg
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Re: More issues with cura and bad prints!

Post by GrueMaster »

It looks like you are printing with either a brim or raft. Print with a skirt and see what it looks like. You can also preview the print by switching to the gcode view in Cura.

Which version of Cura are you using? If it is the old 15.xx, I highly recommend upgrading to the latest.
bmz
Reactions:

Post by bmz »

Im using version 2.5. That print was made with no support enabled. I noticed that it came out flipped 180 from the drawing. So, I must have somehow fliped it in cura. Why would cura not be able to correctly slice if the drawing is flipped?
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Post by GrueMaster »

Brim/raft is not considered support. It is actually under Build Plate Adhesion. For this model, I recommend only a skirt, which are a series of lines printed around the object, but never touching it. This is primarily used to prime the print head before starting to print the first layer, but also helps as an early warning of bed adhesion issues.
bmz
Reactions:

Post by bmz »

OK, Thanks! I will investigate the build plate adhesion.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

Grab the latest version of Cura too

Return to “Help me fix this print!”