Adding a Raspberry Pi to my UM2

Show us your latest print!
reibuehl
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Adding a Raspberry Pi to my UM2

Post by reibuehl »

To get a good - and visually appealing - mounting option for a Raspberry Pi, I created a small mounting plate that can be screwed to two existing holes in the bottom plate of my UM2. The Raspberry Pi is powered via a USV board directly from the 24V input of the UM2 and is switched on with the printer. The USV board has a small Li-Ion rechargeable battery and ensures that the Raspberry Pi is shutdown correctly once the printer is switched off.
UM2-RPI2-Mount-001.jpg
UM2-RPI2-Mount-002.jpg
UM2-RPI2-Mount-003.jpg
Now I just need to wait for my 75cm RPI camera cable to arrive :-)
Meduza
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2+, UM3 (F2, UM2EX+ UM3EX, etc at work)

Re: Adding a Raspberry Pi to my UM2

Post by Meduza »

I like that setup with the USV board, quite neat (even if it doubles the cost of the whole setup).

Will you design a hood to go over it?
reibuehl
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Re: Adding a Raspberry Pi to my UM2

Post by reibuehl »

I thought about having a hood for it but got a little bit worried about the heat distribution - especially with a printed cover. So for the beginning I think I will go without a cover.

I would however mount the RPI 180° turned on the base plate and turn the base plate itself also by 180° next time. That way the distance between the USB ports and the UM2 side panel would be bigger and regular size USB A cables could be used. But since mine is mounted now, I rather order a USB A-to-B cable with a 90° bent USB A connector. That is easier than taking everything apart again and ruining the nice fitting screw holes in the process of doing so.

Return to “Show off your latest print”