My short To Do list

Have a suggestion for the forum? Requests? Please share
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

My short To Do list

Post by LePaul »

I wanted to share a few things i have been working on, so you can see what I am researching.

1) Improve URL and IMG linking, it is too complicated now (SOLVED!)

2) E-mail notifications contain context of new post, so users can see them in their message versus have to log into the forum to do so. (There seems to be some resistance to this on the phpBB. One mindset is that the forum is so mobile friendly, why not just go to the forum? And others point out that limited bandwidth/data plans mean if the email contains the post, it would save you a visit. Who wants to log in to see a simple 'LOL', right? Another developer has a good idea, but it is not an extension and requires numerous core files to be modified. Not a best practice.)

3) IRC Chat. Would anyone really use this? I see 3 or 4 inquire about it but I honestly haven't heard much about anyone using IRC chat for 10 years! Ah those mIRC client days. I'm not opposed to it, but still curious how much use it would see?

4) Wiki. I'm investigating what is out there, I know the wiki's can be very useful but I have also seen how their can be hacked. Feedback welcome!

Please recall that many of the changes that have been made can be set by YOU in your user preferences.
LePaul
Reactions:

Re: My short To Do list

Post by LePaul »

Wiki...I'd like to use something that plugs into the forum...but also curious if anyone has any experience with MediaWiki or others?
ivan.akapulko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by ivan.akapulko »

Just corporate wiki on old job. But it was vey useful. Phpbb devs have some approved wiki engine for board?
ivan.akapulko
Reactions:

Post by ivan.akapulko »

Why not to create a whatsup/telegram/skype channel or in other IM? I dont know, how it can be connected to these board, but irc is a mummy, and i never use it before.
Meduza
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2+, UM3 (F2, UM2EX+ UM3EX, etc at work)

Post by Meduza »

Most other chat mediums do require previous registration separate from the forum, are not open to integrate into the forum and the one you suggest are quite worthless if you do not use "specific app X", IRC are even usable with no registration and a javascript web client.

I use IRC daily and have been doing so for quite a long time, but to be honest i do not think a forum needs a chat channel at all. (but you are all welcome to hang with me in #ultimaker or #makerspace.se at freenode) ;)

Forum Wiki... i think it is overkill, i have seen forum wikis before and they tend to very underused.
ivan.akapulko
Reactions:

Post by ivan.akapulko »

Now everyone on the forum have significant experience. Inevitably over time, the appearance of those who are just in the beginning. The idea is about this.
jonnybischof
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO

Post by jonnybischof »

Wiki:

I think it could be very useful, IF the people use it right.
For example, on the Ultimaker forum I have explained electronics basics numerous times. If there was a forum wiki I could answer questions like these with a wiki entry and link it. Then just keep linking it whenever people ask the same questions over and over (which tends to happen, and after some time people don't get the long answers anymore...)

Of course that wiki could also contain entries that simply link to an external resource, for example 3Dverkstan.se's visual Ultimaker guide which just has to be made known to everone using an Ultimaker or similar printer...

I've been thinking about making a blog for this kind of stuff, but I never got around to actually set it up
reibuehl
Reactions:

Post by reibuehl »

I am not sure if a wiki is the right thing for such stuff. I think this could be better handled with sticky articles - maybe in a seperate, closed for comments category.

I use other forums where more code examples are used and components are discussed. There the forum wiki is used a lot, but I don't see that here yet
jonnybischof
Reactions:

Post by jonnybischof »

Good point... So instead of replying to a question (in detail) directly, one would open a new thread with a grippy title, explain everything and then link that topic. And make it sticky. Sounds great!
reibuehl
Reactions:

Post by reibuehl »

Yes, or ask the admin to move an existing good explanation to such a category for future reference.
Amedee
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO / UMO+

Post by Amedee »

My views...
LePaul wrote: 1) Improve URL and IMG linking, it is too complicated now (SOLVED!)
For the people who prefer the basic way, I've seen that if you first highlight what you want to IMG/URL, it revert to the old behaviour ;)
(I like this board because it is basic and simple -- I don't need or want wizards, managers and assistants for what I have to type)
LePaul wrote: 2) E-mail notifications contain context of new post, so users can see them in their message versus have to log into the forum to do so.
It would be nice to have it...
(But the phpBB folks don't think it is useful, and it is hard too find a good extension)
LePaul wrote: 3) IRC Chat. Would anyone really use this? I see 3 or 4 inquire about it but I honestly haven't heard much about anyone using IRC chat for 10 years! Ah those mIRC client days. I'm not opposed to it, but still curious how much use it would see?
I am not a 'chat guy', I don't really care. But people who are serious about it will rather use an IRC client, so I would not spend time on that...
LePaul wrote: 4) Wiki. I'm investigating what is out there, I know the wiki's can be very useful but I have also seen how their can be hacked. Feedback welcome!
I like wiki's, used them since a long time...
... but maintaining one is a hard job. There are a huge amount of wikis with old, no more relevant pages. People are writing nice pages, then after some time are moving to something else and these pages are left abandoned.
And then you will end up having half of the information in the forum (because some people prefer) and half in the wiki (id.)
So mixed feeling on that: good idea but people often oversee the 'curator' role: that will not happen magically...
I would rather focus on 'organizing the forum' with knowledge-based topics, than split the resources on different fronts.
ivan.akapulko
Reactions:

Post by ivan.akapulko »

Look in the thread, even with reference to him - not the most comfortable thing. Service the relevance of the wiki can be scheduled as once in three months. The value of information will not be lost for a time, and it will be easier to look for the right solution. And the format of the wiki aims to have a clean solution. Concentrated its essence. As says S. King, "the final verdict".
jonnybischof
Reactions:

Post by jonnybischof »

Looks like we might need a poll on the wiki vs stick forum topics question...
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

jonnybischof wrote:Looks like we might need a poll on the wiki vs stick forum topics question...
You have the power to create polls :)

Return to “Feedback, suggestions and more”