Usermap and mChat

Have a suggestion for the forum? Requests? Please share
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Re: Usermap and mChat

Post by LePaul »

I don't understand why they see this forum as "the bad guy"...we aren't "stealing" anyone from them. Everyone here frequents both forums and if anything ...you would think they appreciate that their customers promote their product elsewhere.

Since when is it "bad" to have your customers talk about your product elsewhere around the Internet? I understand their desire for control and all things Ultimaker being "there" but their forum has wrecked the user experience for many. Am I making any sense?
Anders Olsson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2 UM2E, UM2Go, UM3, Delta Tower, Form 1+, Form 2

Post by Anders Olsson »

LePaul wrote:Since when is it "bad" to have your customers talk about your product elsewhere around the Internet? I understand their desire for control and all things Ultimaker being "there" but their forum has wrecked the user experience for many. Am I making any sense?
You certainly make sense :)
It has proven difficult to explain this to a certain person though. Believe me, I have tried..
So I think we should just try to make the best out of the situation with this forum.
Including a link to the #ultimaker IRC or not, it is up to you.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I'm very hesitant since the first time someone mentions this forum, posts a link to a topic here, he'll get all bent out of shape.
Anders Olsson
Reactions:

Post by Anders Olsson »

Okay, I certainly certainly see your point there, maybe it is wise to wait and let things settle a bit.
reibuehl
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by reibuehl »

How about mentioning this forum there _before_ having the IRC chat here :-D Sorry, but the little red devil on my shoulder made me type this...
Blizz
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Prusa: XL, MK4, MK3S+-MMU3, MK3S, Mini, SL1S

Post by Blizz »

I do like myself a good IRC channel. Since there was never a lot of activity on the chat I just stopped opening it after a while.
johan
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO (UM2, UM2+, UM2XT+, Form2, etc. at work)

Post by johan »

Even though many people here are Ultimaker fans I don't see the reason for pointing a chat to an Ultimaker dedicated chat room. I think that will prove confusing if people are talking about other subjects, as the should do on this forum, and flood the #ultimaker chat with unrelated chatter. Just my opinion :)
Dim3nsioneer
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original, 2, 2+, 2 Ext+, 3, S5, Form 2

Post by Dim3nsioneer »

I agree with Johan. This forum and especially a chat should be open to any 3D printing subject.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Chat is already in place. Just not an irc style one yet
Anders Olsson
Reactions:

Post by Anders Olsson »

johan wrote:Even though many people here are Ultimaker fans I don't see the reason for pointing a chat to an Ultimaker dedicated chat room. I think that will prove confusing if people are talking about other subjects, as the should do on this forum, and flood the #ultimaker chat with unrelated chatter. Just my opinion :)
You changed my view on things, I agree with you now.
I have seen this forum primarily as a replacement for the official Ultimaker-forum since almost everyone here used to hang at the old Ultimaker-forum, and I did not expect this forum to grow as popular as it has this quickly, therefore I thought a common chat room would make sense.
The forum becomes much more interesting if it can attract a general public though, and then it makes no sense to use the ultimaker IRC, of course.
Blizz
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Prusa: XL, MK4, MK3S+-MMU3, MK3S, Mini, SL1S

Post by Blizz »

Agreed here as well. It is after all called "3d printing forum", not "ultimaker printing forum". Makes more sense to focus on a generic chat. Would be awesome though if there was a possibility to have multiple channels instead of the one, but that can be looked at if it gets popular.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Meduza wrote:qwebirc on a separate page is what most forums use, it is a little aged now tough, so KiwiIRC that Ultimaker uses might be a better option: https://kiwiirc.com/
I've been checking this out this morning...it has been extremely slow to do anything...is this the normal behavior?

Return to “Feedback, suggestions and more”