Site News...the botched upgrade

News and updates on the forum
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Site News...the botched upgrade

Post by LePaul »

Hello...

We were a few versions behind on the phpBB software and I tried to do the "simpler" process to complete the upgrade.

Not an update...and upgrade. Bigger things!

On Sunday it stalled, hung and generally gave "very bad" errors. The php was fine, as was the database. But other files did not fully convert.

The other method of upgrading, removing entire folders, copying in new ones, then conducting the database upgrade, worked.

As usual, the Logo and a few other things I frequently have to intervene with still need to be done.

Some Extensions like "Mentions" and others have not been updated by their authors and have been disabled to prevent issues.

I also decided to give this Style another try, purely because it is easier on my eyes. I'd like to find something a bit less white/bright...I just feel the old style is rather stale.

Let's give it a few days.

As always I welcome your feedback and suggestions. I'll leave this post open so you can comment your ideas.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Re: Site News...the botched upgrade

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I watched to a few you-tube videos on How to install phpBB though this only get you basic information,
Would like to know more is there some more in-dept instructional documentations.

When I was younger ( teenager ) we Hosted a Dial-up BBS for those who wanted to dial using phone modem and check out what we had...

This of course was done on a Atari 800 and a 286 PC when bill gates said "640K was all the memory you would ever need"
I know there is a discrepancy and Bill says he did not say this, though we heard him say it, at least our memory recalls this exact moment in time!
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Re: Site News...the botched upgrade

Post by LePaul »

I come from the same era! I had a Wildcat! BBS from 1991 right up til 2004 (dropped the phone lines in 96 since everyone went online)

I'm pretty up to date on how all this stuff works, it just isn't a realm I dabble in much more. 3D Printing, slicers, etc is where I spend so much time playing!

Return to “News and Announcements”