A Tea between friends :-) How was Your Day

General topics...if a particular user would like their own sub-area, please let me know!
Frederik
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original plus

Re: A Tea between friends :-) How was Your Day

Post by Frederik »

Another option would be to construct the bed plate as a bent component. Even small tabs (5mm) on all edges would increase the stiffness significantly.
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Post by Neotko »

Like the um3 bed. Downside is that it ends full of crap and you need a blower to push it out.

The other think that um3 bed has is that the bearings are slightly rotated to distribute the weight and cut vibrations. Also is thinner and has less weight.
jonnybischof
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO

Post by jonnybischof »

Bending is a good idea, and probably the best way to go for a manufacturer like Ultimaker. Bending metal is just very expensive (because it means spending time on a big machine) unless you make large batches. But once you order at least 100 parts the costs per unit are negligible compared to the benefit. I still prefer steel because it is just so much stronger, less prone to transmitting vibrations and it has much better thermal properties (less conduction and less expansion / deformation compared to aluminum). But I have to admit that for Ultimaker printers, steel build plates (meaning heavy build plates) aren't a good idea because of the Z-stage design they use. I had to make substantial changes to my own design in order to get that sorted out.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

I have access to a CNC mill :)
Frederik
Reactions:

Post by Frederik »

Neotko wrote:Like the um3 bed. Downside is that it ends full of crap and you need a blower to push it out.

The other think that um3 bed has is that the bearings are slightly rotated to distribute the weight and cut vibrations. Also is thinner and has less weight.
No, the UM3 bed to me is another example of a very dutch approach and that is not a positive thing to say ;]

I meant bending down the tabs. And before you ask: The corners for the leveling screws would be notched to not interfere with the knurled nut. Also I was thinking about the aluminium sheet below the glass plate, because this is the weakest piece in the assembly. However you would need a bigger blank with some space around the heating element.

Another option might be retrofitting an additional L-profile in the front and in the back underneath the heating plate. This could be screwed on together with the brackets for the glass.
jonnybischof
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO

Post by jonnybischof »

Frederik wrote: ...
No, the UM3 bed to me is another example of a very dutch approach ...
I thought "all flat" was the dutch approach? :mrgreen:
Frederik
Reactions:

Post by Frederik »

Good one Jonny! xD

In german there is the word "Blender" meaning someone who acts with a lot of show and shine but can not live up to his promises afterwards.

For example you see a lot of fancy looking stuff at "dutch design week" in Eindhoven every year, but if you ask more underlying detailed questions there is a lack of "depth" or technical knowledge.

Disclaimer:
If you happen to be dutch, don't feel offended to much ;)
nallath
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker

Post by nallath »

It's not that I'm offended as I'm the target, I'm offended (might be too big of a word for it) for the generalisation (which I would be, regardless of the target). There is no such thing as "Dutch" engineering.

The Dutch design week is exactly what the name implies it to be. The Dutch design week. Not the Dutch engineering week. So the measurement / comparison isn't a fair or a valid one.

So please, have critique on designs, but leave any racial / national profile out of it.
Frederik
Reactions:

Post by Frederik »

Hey nallath,

I never said engineering and I may be biased as I have to defend myself as a designer oh so often. Living in Aachen, very close to the dutch and belgian border it is somehow an every day thing between my colleagues and me to toss around some minor insults playing with stereotypes on nationality.
Then again you are correct, generalization does nothing for good communication and I would not want anyone to feel deeply offended.

The flip-side of my post is that actually a lot of german designers (including myself) are a little jealous of the dutch in how flawlessly they execute everything that has to do with presentation and style. It is just something that seems to be natural for "you guys". Starting with the way you dress! I have never seen ugly, or scruffy dutch people anywhere! Now try to say that about us germans xD We lack a certain style-gene sometimes ;)
nallath
Reactions:

Post by nallath »

Frederik wrote:Hey nallath,
Starting with the way you dress! I have never seen ugly, or scruffy dutch people anywhere! Now try to say that about us germans xD We lack a certain style-gene sometimes ;)
You should check out the default software department ;) In every software engineering convention i've been, you were overdressed if all the holes in your clothing were there by design.
Titus
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original+HBK

Post by Titus »

nallath wrote:
Uh? What? I'm gonna talk to some people...
Did you manage to talk to people :)? Or is the outcome not for an online forum :P?
Titus
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original+HBK

Post by Titus »

reibuehl
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by reibuehl »

Is the bed leveling they use so new and unseen? Didn't know that.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

I don't know. I figured all of these players who prided themselves for being open source would eventually find a way to rationalize their needs for patents. I'm not saying I feel it is good, nor bad.

But an industry that exploded into existence thanks to expiring patents...just seems ironic.
nallath
Reactions:

Post by nallath »

Titus wrote:
nallath wrote:
Uh? What? I'm gonna talk to some people...
Did you manage to talk to people :)? Or is the outcome not for an online forum :P?
It's still a WIP. I've manged to prod the right people and convey my concerns about this. But UM is no longer the company where convincing one person that something is a good idea is all you have to do to change something ;)

Return to “General Discussion”