How's everyone doing...2019 version!

General topics...if a particular user would like their own sub-area, please let me know!
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

How's everyone doing...2019 version!

Post by LePaul »

The original Tea Between Friends is a great thread....but let's start a new one!

What are you working on? What do you have for printers? Share your 2019 goals?

I'll start...

I'm working to get all of these 3D Printers reliable. That means proper power supplies for some, better extruders, hot ends and various other upgrades.

My goal...which has eluded me for a while...the BB-8 build!

I need to get all of these printers making good parts for the build. Most prints take 36 hours or more, so we can't have beds with adhesion issues, randomly slipping extruders and iffy hotends.

The amount of 3D printers I have has become, admittedly, a bit crazy over the years....

Ultimaker 2+
Creality CR-10 (parts on hand to upgrade to CR-10S)
Creality CR-10S
Geeetech A10
Tevo Tornado
Folgertech FT-5 R1
FolgerTech i3 Mega

Ultimaker 2+ - I wish these weren't so expensive as I really think everyone should start with one! I've just replaced the coupler a while back, it was sorely in need of replacing. It's my "pretty much can print anything without drama" printer.

CR-10 - The original! It's printed several BB-8 domes and various large pieces. I accumulated a lot of spare parts to upgrade this to the CR-10S electronics and send Z lead screw. It'll be upgraded with an EZABL bed sensor and I'm not sure if I will put a MicroSwiss all metal hot end or trying something else.

CR-10S - I paid a little extra to get mine from PrintedSolid and they made the electronic fix identified with early CR-10S models It's worked great. It has the EZABL and a MicroSwiss hot end. I recently installed the SeeMeCNC EZR Struder and so far, no under extrusion woes!

GeeeTech A10 - This printer was a mess out of the box. Weeks later, after much badgering and hounding...they sent some replacement parts. However it took a lot of hacking to get the thing to print, even carving up the X gantry for a better quality lead screw coupler to fit! BUT...it's actually printing very very well....fingers crossed!

Tevo Tornado - I don't have a lot of time on this printer since every time I have used it, it has been a disaster to sort out. While removing and replacing the bed screws, the bed shattered....so...this one has a ways to go!

FolgerTech FT-5 R1 - The one I had high hopes for still sits idle. However, with new 713Maker bed, heated bed and some additional changes, I think we can get this big guy printing really well.

FolgerTech i3 Mega - It was a wonderful kit to put together and despite a few minor changes I made, it's printing well! It's getting a Titan Aero with EZABL this week, so I can begin dialing that in!
reibuehl
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Re: How's everyone doing...2019 version!

Post by reibuehl »

Last Saturday we had the monthly opening of the Repair Cafe here in my town where I volunteer. Since most of the volunteers are older guys that are interested in all kinds of technology but had never seen a 3D printer in action, I packed my little Fabrikator Mini and a roll of filament to my usual tools.
I set it up in a corner of the workshop and had it print shopping card coins with the Repair Cafe logo. It was a big success. A lot of the guys and a few visitors/customers watched the little printer and informed themselves about 3D printing.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I too am working on one of my 3D Printers that is experiencing layer shifting. after a power supply died in a shower of sparks.

It is not like the normal layer shift, this layer shift has something to do with the Z-Axis as they occur at exactly the same height.
Now the first replies state that this is normally what happens when we have binding. Though I have rebuild the X,Y and Z Axis.
Replacing all bearings cleaning all smooth rods and lead screws re-lubing and thinking that the some be warped.
I swapped them side to side and end for end, if this was the problem the layer shift would still occur thou should at a different location.

This was not the case it still occurs and at exactly the same location, Have even reposition-ed the model with the exact layer Shift.
I have tried to get the all Axis as smooth as possible with little to no effect. So the Next step is to trade the smooth rods from Red to Blu.

Red and Blu are the name I have given my 3D Printers. And Blu is the one giving me the trouble.
As both 3D Printers are essentially the same I call them the Twins
Well If I decide to get into the 3D printer to experience a learning process I have made it!
Oh. I guess should mention that the layer shift is so minute, unlike other I have seen.

Top of model shows the worst layer shift, bottom shows average layer shifting.
Wobbly lines.jpg
Have a separate thread if anyone has any thoughts.
Lez0
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): JGAurora A5S, Anycubic Photon, Saturn 2

Post by Lez0 »

I have only been in the 3D printing game about a year and a half. My work involves designing just about anything, from cosmetic brushes to plastic injection mould tools. 3D printing has always played a part, first using companies like Shapeways etc. until someone bought me a Floger FT5 (R1) he must be a bit sadistic. I had never even seen a 3D printer before so it was quite a learning curve putting it together, with forums like this helping me, thanks guys.
Now I am getting decent prints most of the time for use with work and fun. I ordered a JGaurora A5s before Christmas, but it never arrived, Santa must have got lost looking for our house.
I have ordered another from China and it should come next week.
The idea is to have a printer that just prints without too much trouble, we shall see, it has good reviews.
I had to persuade the wife to let me spend the money, I am sure it will be worth it.
I have learned a lot about 3D printing and still have a lot to learn, but it's been fun, well most of the time. I am sure you will agree, when you get a difficult part to print it gives you a great sense of achievement.

Lez
Lez0
Reactions:

Post by Lez0 »

Hi all
The JGAurora A5S arrived yesterday, the day that it was supposed to. The printer is very easy to put together and has good instructions.
As the printer had been tested there was a tiny bit of plastic still on the nozzle that I never noticed, so after leveling the bed the first print lifted off the bed. Reset the bed leveling and got a perfect print from the sample on the SD card. Printed a baby Groot and it looks perfect too.
I am very happy with this printer, less than an hour to get everything up and running, from when the box arrived. I'll be trying larger prints to see how it performs.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I am awaiting some parts to arrive to upgrade the FolgerTech FT-i3 Mega from it's stock hot end / extruder to the E3D Titan Aero

I have several E3Dv6 hot ends, 12v and 24v, but I wound up not having any extruders parts/pieces! So my plans to use the Aero upgrade kit failed, since I didn't have the gear pinion among other things

I thought of buying the TH3D clone, the "Tough End" Aero setup but I prefer the cartridge style thermosistor over the bulb type that are so problematic at times.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

For those of you on Twitter....I decided to give it a go...

https://twitter.com/WhereNerdyCool
Lez0
Reactions:

Post by Lez0 »

Update on the JGAuora A5S.
The bed has a slight "hump" in the middle, only about 0.1mm, too small to cause any problems.
After a few prints the touch on the touch screen stopped working, so I had to connect it up to the PC to get it to work.
I contacted support and they asked me to check the connections to the LCD screen, they looked fine but I still tried to push them in a bit more. Screen works now. I like the black diamond bed, it works with PLA and PETG, not tried any other filaments yet. Just keep the bed clean with alcohol and when the bed cools down the prints lift off.
For me it's just what I need, a large printer that is reliable and easy to use.
There is a good community on Facebook and a wiki forum.
I'll probably keep the Folger FT5 for the more smelly prints as it's in the garage.
So I'll be doing more prints in 2019. :-D

Lez
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

I made enormous progress on my Titan Aero upgrade to my FolgerTech i3 Mega...got it all amounted and wired....then I ran the belts into the "tear drop" shaped loops for the belt to go in. I struggled to tension the belt enough and press it inside the oval area to insert them. I was one belt notch loose and tried to tug the belt a bit tighter...then pop...the tear drop shaped piece of plastic popped out. Aahhhh.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Don't you just Hate it when that happens!

Have not been here much lots of snow, an still playing with Marlin 2.0.x new features to determine which will work best with my 3D Printer.
Yesterday the Layer Shift got extremely bad. This happened with a combination of Marlin 2.x, Cura 4 and low V-Ref.
Layer Shift.jpg

The 3D Printer with the Layer shifting has every axis flowing smoother the the working 3D Printer and still layer shifts.
Even though I was told not to I adjusted V-Ref up to about the same percentage my other printer is using, then most Layer shifting went away.

It was completely stumping me as to why could 3D Print circular objects perfectly though square or rectangular objects seem to layer shift.
Then after upgrading to Marlin 2.0.x this sudden jump in layer shifting. Not so bad now though still a tiny shifting occurring on the Y-Axis.
And this could be because I could not perfectly align the Z-Couplers.

It appears that my Hot-end needs rebuilt, getting weak, takes a little more to flow the filament, curved edges rolling from the base are under extruded not making smooth round curves from the base upward.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

It was looking so pretty too....

titan aero.jpg

Return to “General Discussion”