Tunell Filament Monitor - Source in Europe?

General topics...if a particular user would like their own sub-area, please let me know!
reibuehl
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Re: Tunell Filament Monitor - Source in Europe?

Post by reibuehl »

As far as I understand, the Tunell sensor manages to detect at least jammed nozzles and extreme feeder grinding without help from the firmware by measuring filament movement trough the sensor over time. If no noticeable movement forward is detected over a configurable number of seconds, it changes the pin state. That was what made it so interesting to me. For just (1), a simple optical sensor is fine enough - most probably I will start with this anyways as I have one laying around. But in the longrun and since I had a lot of clogged nozzles when trying to print FlexPLA, I want something that will at least detect a full block.
Amedee
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO / UMO+

Post by Amedee »

Yes that would go in the (1) case -- a simple check on the signal ;)
The SparkLab one is not working in the same way, it gives pulses when the filament passes.
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Post by Neotko »

But isn't better the sparklab one? I mean ofc that would need programming but seems more 'complete'?
reibuehl
Reactions:

Post by reibuehl »

Sure, the sparklab one is better - and even cheaper I think - but as you say, it requires additional programming and from what I can see, not just a few lines.
Amedee
Reactions:

Post by Amedee »

Neotko wrote:But isn't better the sparklab one? I mean ofc that would need programming but seems more 'complete'?
Take the one that does it in hardware and leave me alone

:mrgreen:

Edit -- looks like the Marlin guys did not like the idea... (see here)
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

Its weird the phrase they use "closing... we recently agreed that support from hardware should come from makers of the hardware and not us"

That's a bit problematic. So the firmware innovation must come from hardware sellers?
Amedee
Reactions:

Post by Amedee »

Right - I don't understand either. It was about a software capability, like the Repetier guys are doing: you pass filament, the software learns the ratio between the extruder and the sensor. Once calibrated you are good to go.
reibuehl
Reactions:

Post by reibuehl »

I read that more like "if you construct a hardware sensor, also provide code for for it instead of asking people that do not have your sensor".
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

True reibuhl must be that. It makes sense since they are a few to make much
jonnybischof
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO

Post by jonnybischof »

Throwing in an additional thing: There are stepper motor drivers (TMC2130) that can detect skipped steps and report them back to the controller. Using this would make the more complex sensor solutions unnecessary (in addition to also be able to correct any skipped steps on XYZ!).

The only little thing we have to do is make an electronics platform (and, more importantly, a firmware for it) that uses such a motor driver.
Amedee
Reactions:

Post by Amedee »

Yes, but it was not really about missing steps / 'closed loops', bout more about filament slippage or change in properties which makes that we are not extruding what we (thing we) push...
jonnybischof
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO

Post by jonnybischof »

Ok, I forgot to mention that you'd have to pair that with a feeder that will rather skip steps than let the filament slip / rip it up.
But I'm afraid we're still a long way from getting there anyways...
drayson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO with mods :-)

Post by drayson »

Neotko wrote:Its weird the phrase they use "closing... we recently agreed that support from hardware should come from makers of the hardware and not us"

That's a bit problematic. So the firmware innovation must come from hardware sellers?
I also placed a request for a safety-related topic there but it seems that fancy self-leveling is more interesting than propperly implemented basis function like lcd_sd_stop....
Anyway...

B.t.w. How to trigger a function like pause or stop via an IO??
reibuehl
Reactions:

Post by reibuehl »

drayson wrote:
Neotko wrote:B.t.w. How to trigger a function like pause or stop via an IO??
I TinkerGnome's firmware, the pin used is declared as FILAMENT_SENSOR_PIN in pins.h (PC7 = D30 or PD7 = D38 are possible on the UM2). The code is then in filament_sensor.cpp - it calls lcd_print_pause() or, if printing via USB, adds a "M0" command into the command queue.
Amedee
Reactions:

Post by Amedee »

drayson wrote: I also placed a request for a safety-related topic there but it seems that fancy self-leveling is more interesting than propperly implemented basis function like lcd_sd_stop....
We are not nice with the Marlin guys ;)

In Configuration.h:

Code: Select all

405 //===========================================================================
406 //========================= Filament Runout Sensor ==========================
407 //===========================================================================
408 //#define FILAMENT_RUNOUT_SENSOR // Uncomment for defining a filament runout sensor such as a mechanical or opto endstop to check the existence of filament                          
409                                  // In RAMPS uses servo pin 2. Can be changed in pins file. For other boards pin definition should be made.
410                                  // It is assumed that when logic high = filament available
411                                  //                    when logic  low = filament ran out
412 #if ENABLED(FILAMENT_RUNOUT_SENSOR)
413   const bool FIL_RUNOUT_INVERTING = true;  // Should be uncommented and true or false should assigned
414   #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_FIL_RUNOUT // Uncomment to use internal pullup for filament runout pins if the sensor is defined.
415   #define FILAMENT_RUNOUT_SCRIPT "M600"
416 #endif
And

Code: Select all

828 /**********************************************************************\
829  * Support for a filament diameter sensor
830  * Also allows adjustment of diameter at print time (vs  at slicing)
831  * Single extruder only at this point (extruder 0)
832  *
<snip>
838  **********************************************************************/
839 // Uncomment below to enable
840 //#define FILAMENT_SENSOR
<snip>
(Introduced in 1.1.0-RC2)

Return to “General Discussion”