1st 3D Printer: Prusa i3 MK3s vs Dremel 3D45

Discussion of General / RepRap style printers! FDM/FFF printers that aren't gigantic!
Bob17821
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Haven’t decided yet.

1st 3D Printer: Prusa i3 MK3s vs Dremel 3D45

Post by Bob17821 »

Too many makes and modes of 3D printers out there! As of when I got tired of researching what to buy I had narrowed down my choices to a Prusa i3 MK3s (already built, not a kit) and a Dremel 3D45.

Here are some differences I'd appreciate your thoughts on:

1) Prusa is not enclosed. But a) how often does that matter? and b) when it does matter does a make-do solution (e.g. putting an upside down cardboard box over it) work?

2) Which printer seems to be more popular? I will probably need a lot of hand holding so I need to get something very popular.

3) I know I'd like wi-fi but I suppose I can live without it, and if not I suppose I could tolerate the Prusa Octoprint workaround.

4) The Dremel ability to set printer options from the filament RFID has real appeal. But that only works for a limited number of filaments. And the Prusa seems to work well with a large number of filament types. How hard is it to setup a Prusa for a filament type? Do filaments come with setup instructions for various printer types?

5) A major factor in Prusa's favor is the larger build volume.

Thanks for whatever thoughts you care to contribute.

Bob
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Re: 1st 3D Printer: Prusa i3 MK3s vs Dremel 3D45

Post by LePaul »

Hi Bob

I don't own either but my lab had a lot of Prusas at one time Overall, the students seemed to like and enjoy them.
Given the components and such, I felt they were a little overpriced. But they also support what they sell and actively push out improvements and upgrades. That's important.

The Dremel looks interesting. I've seen a few reviews and people seemed happy with them.

You can buy enclosures from places like PrintedSolid for the Prusa.

Adding Octoprint is quite easy. I made a video tutorial on how to do that a while back.

If you opt to do the kit, it's a fun build. You learn a lot and adds a good measure of comfort factor getting into this hobby.

That said, if you opt to get one pre-assembled to save time, that's fine too. We won't think less of you! :)
xayoz
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Prusa MK3S, Sidewinder X1, Ender 3 Pro, MP Mini De

Post by xayoz »

Never had the Dremel, but my Prusa MK3S (I did the kit and learned a lot doing it) is one of my favourite printers that I have, my other favourite being my Artillery Sidewinder X1.

I like the MK3S for never having to level the bed and the great support available directly from them, from their forum, and their Facebook groups.
I like the Sidewinder for the larger build volume, still direct drive, and great support from the Facebook groups.

Many people enjoy Octoprint, which seems to work on almost any printer, but I haven't bothered with it myself.

As far as enclosures, you don't need for PLA unless you are trying to eliminate a draft, but it is recommended for certain filaments such as ABS that produce a lot of fumes. There are several enclosures you could purchase online, or you could make your own. Google IKEA Lack Enclosure for the most popular DIY enclosure.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Never had a Dremel!

Have two Prusa's Clones that I like very much, though they do not build them any more so cannot send you in that direction...
I would point you in the direction of the Prusa I3 MK3s though.
Zipster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Dremel Digilab 3D45

Post by Zipster »

I own a Dremel Digilab 3D45. Although I have never owned a Prusa, I've seen what it looks like and I've seen a video about how it operates. The Prusa does not come with any sort of ventilation at all, but the Dremel does. There are some filaments, especially being Nylon that have a lot of toxic chemicals that are released into the air during printing. The melting of these filaments is what causes the toxic chemicals in the air. The Dremel 3D45 has a quick ventilation system and I've never had any issues with it. I have worked with a Dremel Digilab 3D45 at my School for over a year and I've never had a problem with it. I just got my own a few days ago.

Honestly, if you're looking to buy a 3D printer and if you're reading this because you don't know what to choose, you should definitely go for the 3D45. I have already built many highly detailed things. The Dremel Digilab 3D45 does incredibly well with high-poly objects. I would go for Dremel if I were you.

The Prusa has to have a boxed cover/enclosure in order to print a lot of filaments due to the toxic chemicals. Remember, the Prusa was the first 3D printer and it doesn't have many features.

The Dremel 3D45 comes with a hell ton of features, including a print cloud where you can monitor your prints from different angles at anywhere in the world! You can also slice 3D prints on the cloud and start building anywhere! The Dremel Digilab 3D45 also comes with a touch screen with a lot of features. This 3D printer is easy to unclog, all you have to do is press a button on the Touch Screen.

My overall rating of the Dremel 3D45 is a straight up 5. The Dremel Digilab 3D45 also applies the settings automatically for each filament with the RFID detector. It can detect what kind of filament you are using and it will automatically add the settings. You can also adjust the settings during printing as well. The only downside to the RFID detector is that it can't detect all types of filament. The best and known filaments to use with this printer are PETG, PLA, ECO-ABS/ABS, Nylon, and a few other types I can't remember.

Anyway, I hope this answered your question. My final answer is the Dremel Digilab 3D45, it's much more advanced and it is equiped with tons of helpful technology.

Happy 3D printing!

Return to “General / RepRap Printers”