CNC - Router / Engraver

Discussion of General / RepRap style printers! FDM/FFF printers that aren't gigantic!
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

CNC - Router / Engraver

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I have been wanting to use my left over controllers Hictop 3D Printer Ramps 1.3 / 1.4 Controllers to make a Router / Engraver.

I was thinking of something in the neighborhood of 300mm x 300mm x 10-30mm.
Now having knowledge of Marlin could this firmware be used in a simple CNC Router / Laser Engraver based modified firmware.
If someone has seen or already made something of this nature would be interested in seeing the Firmware / Hardware plans

Thank you
drayson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO with mods :-)

Re: CNC - Router / Engraver

Post by drayson »

I used for mine a simple arduino nano and GRBL firmware.
There are ways to make it work with RAMPS too - see https://github.com/CarlosGS/grblForCyclone
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

I'll be curious how that goes for you.

I see a lot of 3D printers want to do CNC and Engraving....but they are not well built for it....in that those metal chips will get into areas that could cause problems!
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

LePaul wrote: April 27th, 2018, 9:44 am I'll be curious how that goes for you.

I see a lot of 3D printers want to do CNC and Engraving....but they are not well built for it....in that those metal chips will get into areas that could cause problems!
Not intending on using a 3D Printer, merely a Ramps 1.3 / 1.4 controller that could be used with any type of 3 Axis CNC.
The 10-30mm Z-Axis if of course for depth as it would be hear for a small router for cut through thick material without many passes.
May even extend the Z-Axis for deeper cuts better to have more distance than needed than not to have enough.

I was planing on creating a 300 x 300 base using 2020 aluminum T-Slot. On the bottom a sheet of 1/2 in plywood .
Using many diagonal holes to adhere the projects in place while engraving / Routing.

Was merely asking to use Marlin if possible, I see that most 3D Printers drop the nozzle to the bed then rise.
The CNC only does what is it told to do, should not be too complicated to continue to drop while engraving or routing.
Only need the slice the material from top to bottom of unwanted material. Could use a PWM as the spindle/Laser control.

Though if someone has a version of firmware for this purpose using a Ramps 1.3/1.4 controller maybe even better.
I am not against learning a new firmware.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

I'm curious what you'll come up with

Have you done any searches for Marlin based CNC?
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

No!

I have been looking everywhere I could think of, and well you know the harder you think the more the wheels spin.
Was just looking for a new pool of things to consider for the project.

Return to “General / RepRap Printers”