Noob Questions

Discussion of ANY 3D printing topic you desire!
Rhino52
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Creality Ender 3 Pro

Noob Questions

Post by Rhino52 »

Hello all! New to 3d printing here. Have a Creality Ender 3 Pro and in two attempts at printing the test dog, print keeps coming "un stuck" off bed, ruining the print. First time about 40 min into print. Re-leveled bed and increased bed temp to 50 deg (extruder temp at 200 deg) and on second attempt, got 2/3 of the way thru print before it came off the bed. Did notice that the back portion of the print was starting to lift about 1 hour into the print, so suspect it's a leveling problem. Material is PLA. My questions:

1. In addition to more precise leveling, will increasing the bed temperature also help the print "stick" better? At what temperature does this become counter-productive?

2. Can anyone recommend good 3d printing literature for beginners?

Thank you all in advance for your attention and advice. Hopefully, 3rd time will be the charm.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Re: Noob Questions

Post by Roberts_Clif »

1st : Printing PLA does not require a Heated Bed, therefore does not require heat to stick.

Clean the Bed before each use with Isopropyl 70% Alcohol or better best. I use only those with 90% Alcohol or better.

I started printing on Vinyl Transfer Paper Tape with Releasable Pressure Sensitive Carper Glue on the tape.
Though the glue bubbled, discolors turning brown it worked until one day I forgot the glue and Print stuck. then stopped using the glue.

Then Started printing on Vinyl Transfer Paper Tape, "This is basically Blue Painters Tape"
Although it comes in all widths 2 - 48inches. I use 12 - 18 inch widths.

I even printed on a sheet of card stock paper Clipped to the bed this is a quick test to see if paper was a valid print surface.

I use a thumb screw adjustable Proximity Sensor mount to adjust the nozzle height.

Getting that first layer at the exact perfect point is an Art, if your print is coming lose 2/3rds through the print you need to drop the nozzle.
Knowing how much is the Art or practice, too low the filament does not extrude, too high the filament does not stick and looks round.
A perfect first layer height should be almost exactly the layer height settings from your slicer.
I use Z-Axis Baby Steps so I can quickly adjust that first layer to the correct height. You can also use Z-Offset settings.
After a few dozen prints you will know the second the first layer starts to print if it the adhesion will remain until the print finishes.
Last edited by Roberts_Clif on February 26th, 2019, 9:12 pm, edited 6 times in total.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

I always heat to 60C for the print bed. Make sure it's clean...windex/rubbing alcohol....

Tape is cheap and easy too....i prefer clean surface with a mist of extra hold hair spray
Rhino52
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Creality Ender 3 Pro

Post by Rhino52 »

Well, took some extra time to level and adjust the print bed, cleaned as advised, and third try is approx 80% complete and looking pretty good!! Barring a late problem, looks like it will be a successful print. Thank you both for your advice.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

Rhino52 wrote: February 26th, 2019, 8:58 pm Well, took some extra time to level and adjust the print bed, cleaned as advised, and third try is approx 80% complete and looking pretty good!! Barring a late problem, looks like it will be a successful print. Thank you both for your advice.
Fingers crossed for you, bud!

Return to “General 3D Printing Conversation”