Novice CR10s PRO CURA 4 user - direct print ??

Discussion of ANY 3D printing topic you desire!
ksor
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): CR10s PRO

Novice CR10s PRO CURA 4 user - direct print ??

Post by ksor »

I have set up my printer and it works nicely.

I tested it with printing from the SC-Card - with the test-Dog from Creality and a box I made myself.

I want to be able to print DIRECLY from Cura to the printer, and it kind of works but not quite.

When I have prepared the files I can click a button "Print via USB" and the Monitor screen comes up with a printer window tp the right.
I this window I can set temp an start preheat of nozzle and bed ...
and the NOTHING happens the printer doesn't change temp nothing seems to happen !

What do I do wrong here ?
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Re: Novice CR10s PRO CURA 4 user - direct print ??

Post by GrueMaster »

First, check your connection setup. You should be able to go into monitor mode and use the controls to move your printer axis or set temperatures for the bed and the nozzle. If those don't work, your connection isn't setup right.
Assuming Windows, check device manager to see if a serial device shows up and driver gets loaded when you plug the usb cable in.

you may find quickly that direct print from a PC is not all that great. Windows tends to sleep, and when that happens, any print job currently running will die. I personally recommend a Raspberry Pi running Octoprint. Fairly easy to setup and you never need to worry about it going to sleep. Plus if you have a web cam, you can set it up for remote monitoring.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

I haven't used Cura for USB printing since they kept hinting in the past it wasn't preferred and could go away.

I get their logic...various computers have USB ports that can hibernate, much like your display does on your computer if certain power settings are set.
If your USB decides to take a nap, your print is hosed.

The only thing I can think of is to check your Device Manager (Windows, right?) and see if the connection is showing up. I've read some boards use a different UART chip and you may not have the updated driver to establish the connection.

I prefer SD cards, it allows the printer to run quicker....but all of mine have Raspberry Pi Octoprint servers now. I can have the web camera do the time lapse and capture any data needed during the print
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Ha, looks like Gruemaster and I were typing the same thoughts at the same time
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

If you're interesting in trying Octoprint, I made a tutorial a year ago on my YouTube channel!

ksor
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): CR10s PRO

Post by ksor »

I love Occams Razor ... an old version of KIS ;-))

Return to “General 3D Printing Conversation”