My heat brake is leaking ????

Discussion of ANY 3D printing topic you desire!
ksor
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): CR10s PRO

My heat brake is leaking ????

Post by ksor »

I have a CR10s PRO that's broken down ... again !

That threaded tube between heating element and the cooling is leaking melted filament big time !

I saw a video where it was said that the threading is 6mm threats - I think it's an undersize 6mm compared with my 6mm threading tools !

What is the right thread size and what can I use to "pack" the threads ?
ksor
Reactions:

Re: My heat brake is leaking ????

Post by ksor »

No one knows ?
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I do not have a CR10 Pro, though when my 3D Printer has a leak I fix by what ever needs are required.
If this means the the Heat Pipe be replaced I replace the heat pipe, If the Heat block needs replaced replace.

At times it may require a replacement of more than one part, this is what is about to happen on my 3D Printer.
Both need to be completely dissembled and a diagnostic done to determine which part require replacement.
The throat (Heat Tube) of my 3D Printers is lined with PTFE tubing and after a while gets deformed.

I will be inspecting all parts while the hot-end is dissembled, when rebuilt will be close to a brand new hot-end.

Inner holes: M6 and M3 (heat pipe/throat and thermocouple/thermister)
ksor
Reactions:

Post by ksor »

> Robert_Clif
"I do not have a CR10 Pro, though when my 3D Printer has a leak I fix by what ever needs are required."

I do too ... the problem though is I don't know the thread size and what to use as packing material - in fact that's why I asked my question.
ksor
Reactions:

Post by ksor »

In fact it's NOT the heat brake (=the threads between the heat brake tube and the cooling cylinder) it's leaking from the threads between the heat brake tube and the heating element !

I think I found out the size of the threads - I think it's a 6mm pitch 0,75 and it's very very loose when screwed together !

I the first place I tried to pack the threads there with some copper foil but the glue on the back and the foil was stinking terrible when it was hot, so I took it apart again.

Then I tried packing it with some teflon tape for pipe threads and it seems to work much better - especially if the threads hadn't been that loose from the start.

Any better ideas ?
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I was thinking about this and thought what about Teflon tape, A quick lookup shows that Temperature Range: -450°F to +500°F (-268°C to +260°C). PTFE is completely stable up to +500˚F or +260˚C. Decomposition is slow up to 750°F or 400°C. Decomposition will occur on contact with open flames.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_seal_tape

This might be an Ideal.

Return to “General 3D Printing Conversation”