Questions from a new but experienced printer

Discussion of ANY 3D printing topic you desire!
Stevefury
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Makerbot Mini

Questions from a new but experienced printer

Post by Stevefury »

Title: "Questions from a new but experienced printer".
Please let me explain, and please move this thread if it's in the wrong place.

My question is about 3D printing software and the process.
I've been doing 3D artwork since about 2001 and got a Makerbot Mini in 2015.
I took right to that little work horse and created thousands of prints, mainly robotic parts.
I found the process very easy:
(1) Create the CAD file and export it as a STL file.
(2) Import the STL file into the Makerbot desktop program, set the slicer values within the Makerbot desktop (if needed) and click print.
The information is sent to the printer and it starts.

My little mini workhorse suffered a catastrophic failure last Saturday amidst a very ambitious robotic project.
The power supply failed.

I did a lot of new printer research last Sunday and ordered a new Artillery Sidewinder X1 due to arrive in 6 days.

Although I have a good amount of experience with PLA in my Makerbot, I have no experience or understand the software and file
process outside of Makerbot.
The Artillery printer says it can accept OBJ or STL files via the USB stick. Watching associated YouTube videos, I don't see any slicer options in its operation menu.
How does this work? For example do I need a slicer program in my PC to create a file and include that on my USB stick for the printer?
Also, I avoid using Window$ and choose Linux OpenSuse (Similar to Fedora, RedHat RPM). Can anyone recommend software?
I have about 6 days to research this before my new and exciting printer arrives.
Thanks in advance.
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Re: Questions from a new but experienced printer

Post by GrueMaster »

... I avoid using Window$ and choose Linux ...
Well, you are already off to a good start (IMO). :-P

I use Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, and run the latest Cura. Even though it is produced by Ultimaker, it is open source, has great community support for multiple printers (I have a Hictop 3DP-17 & CR-10S), and it's free. Works great in Linux as well (although I haven't worked with OpenSuse in quite a while).

To print initially, your work flow would be to load an STL into Cura, slice it (review for supports, etc), then either send the resulting gcode (created when slicing) to the printer via USB or copy it to the SD card. Your printer will have some instructions on its user interface and printing from SD.

While I do not know that printer at all (only just heard about it from your post), you might consider getting a raspberry pi (3 or 4) and running Octoprint on it. This allows your printer to run standalone without being connected to your desktop and also has the added benefit of using a simple webcam (or the Pi Cam available for the Raspberry Pi) to monitor your prints, even remotely. Check your printer though. A lot of newer printers have this functionality built-in due to popularity and low cost (a Pi setup will cost ~$50-$60 depending on features and accessories).
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Post by GrueMaster »

... I avoid using Window$ and choose Linux ...
Well, you are already off to a good start (IMO). :-P

I use Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, and run the latest Cura. Even though it is produced by Ultimaker, it is open source, has great community support for multiple printers (I have a Hictop 3DP-17 & CR-10S), and it's free. Works great in Linux as well (although I haven't worked with OpenSuse in quite a while).

To print initially, your work flow would be to load an STL into Cura, slice it (review for supports, etc), then either send the resulting gcode (created when slicing) to the printer via USB or copy it to the SD card. Your printer will have some instructions on its user interface and printing from SD.

While I do not know that printer at all (only just heard about it from your post), you might consider getting a raspberry pi (3 or 4) and running Octoprint on it. This allows your printer to run standalone without being connected to your desktop and also has the added benefit of using a simple webcam (or the Pi Cam available for the Raspberry Pi) to monitor your prints, even remotely. Check your printer though. A lot of newer printers have this functionality built-in due to popularity and low cost (a Pi setup will cost ~$50-$60 depending on features and accessories).
Stevefury
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Makerbot Mini

Post by Stevefury »

Thanks for the simple explanation.
I understand the Artillery Sidewinder X1 might be a competitor for the Creality CR-10.
Cura is found in the OpenSuse repository, it looks pretty much straight forward.

I'm very familiar with Raspberry Pi and only recently heard of Octoprint. Sounds like a great combo/printing aid to check out.
Thanks for the quick reply!

Return to “General 3D Printing Conversation”