Gear Printing

Discussion of ANY 3D printing topic you desire!
Hornnumb2
Reactions:

Gear Printing

Post by Hornnumb2 »

I have a slushy machine that has stripped a gear when the mix froze. They are suppose to be shipping a new gear box from China for it. But if its possible to duplicate the new gear and have an extra on hand just incase it happens again. Will a printed gear hold up, the gearbox runs the plastic augur that keeps the mix moving. Thanks Michael
Lez0
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): JGAurora A5S, Anycubic Photon, Saturn 2

Re: Gear Printing

Post by Lez0 »

Hi
I would doubt the printed gears would be very strong. The plastic gears in the gearbox will be injection moulded nylon. These gears are very strong for plastic. Injection moulding can be a very precise process compared to 3D printing, therefore It would be better to buy the gears to make the gearbox.

Lez
Country_Bubba
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Tronxy X5S-400, Ender5

Re: Gear Printing

Post by Country_Bubba »

I would say, give it a go. Who knows when the replacement will get to you and in the meantime you will be able to use the appliance. It may last long enough to get the replacement or it may last as long as the original?
I have seen where some people have made change gears for lathes and they have been quite serviceable.

I doubt we are talking a big complicated gear here and it will take only a few cents worth of plastic and a bit of time to print one up.

Good luck with whatever way you go.

Return to “General 3D Printing Conversation”