How can I choose the best 3D Printers for Miniatures?

Discussion of ANY 3D printing topic you desire!
aknorthroader
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): none yet

Re: How can I choose the best 3D Printers for Miniatures?

Post by aknorthroader »

So, not owning one yet, but after doing a month of research for my first purchase (CHRISTMAS! :-D ), for me it really comes down to a couple of key questions.

1. What type of miniatures are we talking about?
Is it just the casual D&D game, needing some orcs or undead minis that the party is about to encounter? Is it basic 40k troops (guardsmen, marines, etc.)? Or are we talking high detail painting miniatures for Golden Demon Awards or maybe really small Epic armies? Are they going to be looked at just table top level, or under the microscope?

2. What else are you looking to print?
Maybe the occasional scenic base or special terrain piece or are you looking for 6X4 board of buildings or complete dungeon scape? Maybe icon holders or card deck dividers or storage solutions? Could the 3d printer be commandeered by someone else in the house for other nefarious things (like dollhouses)?

3. How much effort are you really wanting to put into it?
This really is a serious question. Is this a casual hobby? Are you looking at production/resell? I was really gung-ho on resin until I looked at the production of cleaning and curing not to mention smell and mess to begin with.

The above list on the previous post is good, but if you did a search on a per month basis, it changes pretty frequently. There are units to stay away from, but the mainstream production manufactures (Phrozen, Eryone, AnyCubic, Ender 3, Elegoo) all have their pluses and minuses, and people that advocate for each. For me, I answered the 3 questions this way.

1. Simple 40k troops and D&D minis. I don't paint Golden Demon standards so what I am looking for is a clean model without the lines. Extrusion printers have come a LONG way since I first saw them and gone are the days of the ribbed look when printing. Depending on settings, can have a very smooth surface.
2. A lot of terrain is in my future. I figure I am going to spend the money on GW minis, I have to save the money on terrain pieces. As they don't have to be absolute flawless, resin is just to expensive to cast multiple boards worth of terrain. I am also getting back into D&D, and I've seen some awesome dungeons done on Ender machines. The other table top games I play have a ton of extra printable add-ons for storage, game aids, and extras that I have always wanted to create. I see a lot of do-hick-ees and thing-a-ma-bobs in my future.
3. This ended up being my deciding factor. Right now, out of the gate, this is just an intro into the hobby for me. I want to see how it goes and really how interested I am in continuing. I know myself in that I don't want something that has a high production cost (time, effort, cleaning, curing, extra parts) to get started as I might get frustrated early and then it just sits. Also, I live in a smaller condo, so some of the smells, noise, cleaning solutions and overall space is a bit higher then I want to begin with.

Overall, I am looking at extrusion method for first purchase (which? I don't know, that is next step), and down the way might invest in resin. With the new 4k print screens just coming online for manufactures this year, maybe next Christmas after prices come down a bit.

Good luck and post what you decide on. As I am new to this board, I'm sure to be here a bit and look forward to seeing things built for inspiration.
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Post by GrueMaster »

If miniatures is all you are printing, then yes, get a smaller printer. I printed some really nice pieces with my Hictop 3DP17. But I printed better ones on my CR-10S (larger printer but better quality - except for bridging).

This was printed using coffee filament on my 3DP17:
bookshelf1.jpg
These were printed on my CR-10S:
finished graves.jpg
Dice jail.jpg
The larger printer can easily handle the small prints, and if you are printing a goblin army, the larger bed means you can print them all at the same time. The cost difference is minimal, so it then boils down to space.

Granted, both of these printers are old by today's standards. But you get the idea.
johnwilson67
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Best 3D Printer for Miniatures

Post by johnwilson67 »

If you are planning to create some custom miniature models then it will be better if you choose the best 3D printers for miniatures. But the question is, which printer should you choose?
The answer is simple, you have to go for the best. It is true that different manufacturers produce different models of this printer, but as a rule, they all promise to create the best miniature models. There are many advantages in creating these small models, but first of all, most miniature models are cheaper than regular models. This is a good thing because it helps you to save more money in the long run. If you are going to purchase a printer and want to get the best price, then you have to go for the model which comes with free shipping. It will help you save a lot of money when you go for a model that comes with free shipping.

Through my research, here are enlisted Best 3D Printer For Miniatures.
  • FlashForge Creator Pro
  • Sindoh 3DWOX DP200
  • QIDI Tech X-One 2
  • Dremel Digilab 3D20
  • Anycubic Photon LCD UV
Last edited by johnwilson67 on December 9th, 2020, 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lez0
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): JGAurora A5S, Anycubic Photon, Saturn 2

Post by Lez0 »

I have been using an Anycubic photon (not the S) for about a year now and I love it.
Once I get used to using it I have printed 100's of parts.
The detail you can get with these printer is so much better that a filament printer.
They are starting to do larger ones at not to expensive a price. I am thinking of getting one for larger prints.
One thing I did find was that there are different makes and types of resin.
I found one that suits my needs so I use that all the time, it save me time and trouble.
JamesFitts
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): ANYCUBIC Chiron

Post by JamesFitts »

Especially resin 3D printers are useful for miniatures, as they can produce the finest of details with an amazing surface finish. Check here to choose the best 3D Printers for Miniatures.
Lez0
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): JGAurora A5S, Anycubic Photon, Saturn 2

Post by Lez0 »

I see the Anycubic Phonon is top of the list. I've had one for 2 years now and I've done 100's of prints, very happy with it.

Lez

Return to “General 3D Printing Conversation”