$99 printer, whuuuut

Discussion of ANY 3D printing topic you desire!
Blizz
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Prusa: XL, MK4, MK3S+-MMU3, MK3S, Mini, SL1S

Re: $99 printer, whuuuut

Post by Blizz »

Amedee wrote:This one looks more fun ;)
Saw the video a while back and would buy it in a heartbeat if it was a regular upgrade kit/expansion :)
Looks a bit hard to keep clean, but still... Awesome!
Titus
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original+HBK

Post by Titus »

Blizz
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Prusa: XL, MK4, MK3S+-MMU3, MK3S, Mini, SL1S

Post by Blizz »

Thanks for the pointer. Unfortunately (like I replied there) 3 days of driving back and forth to Utrecht would be over a 1000km for me, it's just not worth it. I would buy the parts if they just had a "box" though.
Titus
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original+HBK

Post by Titus »

just make sure you come the last day, and collect all the stuff :P You can build it on your own I guess, makers skills
Anders Olsson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2 UM2E, UM2Go, UM3, Delta Tower, Form 1+, Form 2

Post by Anders Olsson »

ONO actually released a video a few weeks ago which suggests that it is possible to some extent to use a mobile phone screen for curing resin to form a 3D-structure:

Tiko, as I talked about earlier, on the other hand have now halted their business after shipping 4000 out of 16000 printers:
It appears that the project had even worse management than my fairly pessimistic comment earlier on:
Anders Olsson wrote: I am keeping my eyes on other large projects like the Tiko printer for example.
It is horrifying to see how they appear to have skipped basic testing of several of the fundamental components and the problems now shows up when going into production (after months of delays).
If this article is correct, we have possibly reached a new record low in the history of product development:
http://hackaday.com/2017/02/27/the-tiko ... -too-much/
Despite this, Tiko actually managed to build and ship over four thousand printers. Given Tiko took in nearly three million dollars from 16,000 Kickstarter backers, this doesn’t sound like much. Consider the decisions Tiko made, and it’s remarkable. They had ordered their complete BOM before a prototype was finalized. The decision to use cheap stepper motors led directly to the very poor performance of the finalized design. The efforts to fix hardware problems in software were not effective. Eventually, Tiko had too much technical debt to pay off.
:-o
nilrog
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+

Post by nilrog »

Whoa, talk about badly managed development :shock:
Izzy
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by Izzy »

I'm still watching the OLO with interest, and if it does fully come to market I am interested.
ivan.akapulko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by ivan.akapulko »

It still alive? No way...

Return to “General 3D Printing Conversation”