$99 printer, whuuuut

Discussion of ANY 3D printing topic you desire!
Titus
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original+HBK

$99 printer, whuuuut

Post by Titus »

Pretty cool as a toy! Less useful due to build platform restrictions. Given the fact that there is little machinery I can understand the price point. I wonder how much resin it uses and how expensive that is. It is still super cool, check it out:

Meduza
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2+, UM3 (F2, UM2EX+ UM3EX, etc at work)

Re: $99 printer, whuuuut

Post by Meduza »

I am very sceptic for a bunch of different reasons...
Blizz
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Prusa: XL, MK4, MK3S+-MMU3, MK3S, Mini, SL1S

Post by Blizz »

That's so awesome... a phone powered SLS printer. I might back that one too, just to toy around :)
Blizz
Reactions:

Post by Blizz »

Meduza wrote:I am very sceptic for a bunch of different reasons...
... being? :)
martin-bienz
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original, prusa i3 mk2

Post by martin-bienz »

Blizz wrote:That's so awesome... a phone powered SLS printer. I might back that one too, just to toy around :)
youp, cool, right? But does that not sound 2 cool to be true? :roll:

BTW: I would love one! And what can go wrong for 150$? (inc. shipping and some resin etc.)
Blizz
Reactions:

Post by Blizz »

Only thing I'm a bit afraid is that if the resin hardens by the light your phone screen emits, won't it harden by just standing on a table or so? And probably the resin will cost a pretty penny. Same principle as an inkjet printer probably.

Edit: So the resin is "regular light sensitive" (comes in black bottles and to be stored dark and dry), best to be used within one year of purchase and will cost $15/bottle, not counting shipping and import.
Meduza
Reactions:

Post by Meduza »

They just added that part about the black bottles to their FAQ yesterday, before that there were no information and that was one of the things that really triggered my scam alarm when watching the kickstarter video.

Also, it is really not a SLS, it is closer to a SLA or DLP even if it is neither of them, a closer term would be DPP (Daylight Polymer Printing).

Some points that make me skeptical, even if they have answered some of them in their faq the last 24 hours...
  • They do clean the parts in just warm water, and handle the resin right out of the printer without any gloves on... usually you need to wash resin prints in Alcohol and handling them without post-curing is usually not a safe thing to do because of the uncured monomers and the nasty photoinitiators.
  • Nothing mentioned about post-curing
  • Nothing mentioned on how to clean the printer itself
  • The claim that you can print with 100% of the resin with no losses...
But one of the main things i am skeptic about is their super high resolution claims wich is purely based on the device DPI, but since phone screens are made to spread the light to get a good viewing angle, and you cannot remove the phone's protective glass you will always have light spreading way larger than the physical pixel size.
ivan.akapulko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Post by ivan.akapulko »

Hmm... Reminds me of a story with smartphones for $ 4 in India. The print quality on the level of Form2 for $ 99? It's very hard to believe. Also I'm confused about the following point: when lling printer, sunlight in any case will light up on the rubber. And this will inevitably lead to artifacts. And let's not forget that the phone is used. Which can call at any time.What happens when somebody calls?
Titus
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original+HBK

Post by Titus »

It says in the FAQ: "must be in airplane mode without wifi/bluetooth on" :P
Meduza
Reactions:

Post by Meduza »

Also, who can be without their phone for a whole day printing without abstinence problems ;)
Anders Olsson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2 UM2E, UM2Go, UM3, Delta Tower, Form 1+, Form 2

Post by Anders Olsson »

Titus wrote:It says in the FAQ: "must be in airplane mode without wifi/bluetooth on" :P
Yeah, I imagine a print will fail miserably if someone is calling in the middle of it :lol:

I basically have the same doubts as Meduza:
- How to handle such light sensitive resin without it solidifying before it gets inside the printer and how to clean the printer?
- How the light emitted by a single pixel is prevented from solidifying nearby areas? (there might be ways of doing this, but I don't see those implemented)

And then a few more questions:
- Calibration for different phones? (different screens do often have quite different brightness and color spectrum)
- Resin handling/recovery after print is finished?
- How to diagnose printing problems when you can not see what is happening?
- Hos did they ever record that video of the object printing if the resin is light sensitive? (just curious :-) )

One should also note that a $15 bottle only holds 100 grams of resin, which makes about as expensive to use as the Form 2.

I am keeping my eyes on other large projects like the Tiko printer for example.
It is horrifying to see how they appear to have skipped basic testing of several of the fundamental components and the problems now shows up when going into production (after months of delays).
And the Tiko-team then appeared much more trustworthy than the OLO-people I would say, but still they obviously lack basic experience in engineering and product development, ending up that long behind schedule with that many basic issues popping up.

Sometimes I feel like I am really overdoing things compared to all these kickstarters, although I believe that things has to be done in a professional way to succeed in the long run.
Blizz
Reactions:

Post by Blizz »

Obviously it will never be as good quality wise as a Form 2 or anything even remotely beyond "amateurish". My excitement is just that at that price it allows you to just toy around with it and see if you like it. :)
reibuehl
Reactions:

Post by reibuehl »

Makers Muse had a short video on it too. He seems to have the same doubts as the people here :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x5cIx9z5-I
ivan.akapulko
Reactions:

Post by ivan.akapulko »

Anders Olsson wrote:
Titus wrote:It says in the FAQ: "must be in airplane mode without wifi/bluetooth on" :P
Yeah, I imagine a print will fail miserably if someone is calling in the middle of it :lol:

I basically have the same doubts as Meduza:
- How to handle such light sensitive resin without it solidifying before it gets inside the printer and how to clean the printer?
- How the light emitted by a single pixel is prevented from solidifying nearby areas? (there might be ways of doing this, but I don't see those implemented)

And then a few more questions:
- Calibration for different phones? (different screens do often have quite different brightness and color spectrum)
- Resin handling/recovery after print is finished?
- How to diagnose printing problems when you can not see what is happening?
- Hos did they ever record that video of the object printing if the resin is light sensitive? (just curious :-) )

One should also note that a $15 bottle only holds 100 grams of resin, which makes about as expensive to use as the Form 2.

I am keeping my eyes on other large projects like the Tiko printer for example.
It is horrifying to see how they appear to have skipped basic testing of several of the fundamental components and the problems now shows up when going into production (after months of delays).
And the Tiko-team then appeared much more trustworthy than the OLO-people I would say, but still they obviously lack basic experience in engineering and product development, ending up that long behind schedule with that many basic issues popping up.

Sometimes I feel like I am really overdoing things compared to all these kickstarters, although I believe that things has to be done in a professional way to succeed in the long run.
Tiki team has good idea, but some thing for me looks srange: how they think avoid heating while long print at 250 degrees? Tiko don't have active cooling, and its may cause very big problems to all hotend parts. And Nylon and some other filaments require more temp, than 250 degrees. It may cause underextrusion.
Amedee
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO / UMO+

Post by Amedee »

This one looks more fun ;)

Return to “General 3D Printing Conversation”