Open Source and Ultimaker article

Discussion of ANY 3D printing topic you desire!
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Open Source and Ultimaker article

Post by LePaul »

LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Re: Open Source and Ultimaker article

Post by LePaul »

Super short article....I like how they gave Anders credit for his Olsson Block.
danilius
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Re: Open Source and Ultimaker article

Post by danilius »

Bit of a puff piece really, didn't explore the practicalities and community ethos required to pull this off. It could work for just about anything, really, but it depends on the buyers being faithful to the spirit of open source (i.e. not buying cheap clone knock-offs) and manufacturers doing likewise. It really needs an environment in which buyers respect the designer's and manufacturers efforts by playing by the unwritten rule book.

It has worked in 3D printing because the community is so small, and all hell breaks loose when someone cheats. *Cough* Takerbot *cough*.

Can it work for washing machines? In theory, it would be a win-win situation. Nerdy geeky types (e.g. anyone reading this post) would tweak their washing machines, upload their tweaks and everyone would benefit. The tweaker would receive some compensation or sell their tweak themselves, the company would get a free research and buyers could decide whether or not to upgrade.

In practice, there is a lot to learn on the part of buyers and sellers. Buyers have to be more forgiving, such as when Ultimaker messed up with dual-head printing (I still have not heard a word from them to me specifically explaining how they are planning on making it up to me), have to respect the company and trust them and sellers have to treat their customers like gold. Ain't gonna happen with the likes of Apple, Samsung or Ford. Not this week, anyway.

Having said that, Autodesk really went all the way with their printer. No idea if they have sold any at all, mind you.

Return to “General 3D Printing Conversation”