Printer tests

Discussion of ANY 3D printing topic you desire!
MTVDNA
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Printer tests

Post by MTVDNA »

Hey guys,

I am looking for some test prints to find the limits of what is possible with my printer.

I'm sure most of you have seen this topic on the UM forums about printing a cylinder at increasing speeds, from 3 up to 10 mm3/s. There's also a tougher one that goes from 8 to 15. I tried it, but it doesn't seem to be as well made as the other one. The motion isn't smooth, sort of 'jumpy'. Also sometimes it prints small parts of the cylinder much slower than others for no reason. Apparently there's also a version that goes up to 20 mm3/s but I haven't been able to find it. If anyone here has it, I'd love it if you could share it :)

Some of these tests from Makezine are nice too. I'm especially curious about the overhang performance and the negative space tolerances test. And of course there's the well known 3DBenchy boat.

What I really like about the cylinder tests is that you get a well defined limit of your printer. With the other tests it's much more objective, "it looks good" isn't really quantifiable. Do you guys know of tests like the cylinder, but for other print properties (e.g. xy resolution, layer height, retraction, etc.)?
Izzy
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Re: Printer tests

Post by Izzy »

I use several test pieces to test filaments, the UM robot, the tree frog by Morena Protti (Thingiverse 18479), the quick temperature filament test (2 hours) by Arjan, 3DBenchy, the Aztec Chief by Makerbot, Marvin Keychain, and the Volume flow test ( measuring and calculating this test it isn't accurate, it is running at less than stated)
I use this because they have various features that allow comparing how different filaments cope with the overhangs bridging and other aspects etc.
3DBenchy has a document that allows you to compaired measurements of the various features, but one thing I have found with my test peices is that these dimensions can vary between filaments (all use the same sliced file).

Return to “General 3D Printing Conversation”