Bondtech BMG

Discussion of ANY 3D printing topic you desire!
Meduza
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2+, UM3 (F2, UM2EX+ UM3EX, etc at work)

Bondtech BMG

Post by Meduza »

Have you guys seen the new Bondtech BMG extruder?
http://www.bondtech.se/en/products/extr ... -extruder/

Looks like a pretty nice option for a lightweight geared 1.75mm extruder.
Neotko
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO+ x2.5

Re: Bondtech BMG

Post by Neotko »

I think actually is heavy. I mean, 220grms for an UM could be quite stressful. It could be like printing with a um3 head.

Ofc for slow printing (like um3) it should be fine as long you copy the acceleration/jerk tricks (not hard to do if you can avoid stuttering on the marlin).

Also ofc, printing at just 500/5 (accel/jerk) is doable for directdrive, but on all my tests it shows how poor is Marlin to readjust the extrusion flow and it doesn't deliver precision (specially on edges).

So, useful? Yeah. I would put a pancake + fan motor on that, I suppose they used 5mm shaft and their small bondtechs to keep size/weight down, so it should be compatible.

The biggest problem I see adding weight to the um hotends is that everything is too weak and it forces to slow down everything.

Until Gudo last beta we seen a lot of problems even with barely 60grms, but current beta can stay at maximum accel/jerk with less ringing than bowden...

Overall, I would make the head stronger and more stable to put 220grms. Or, make a on/off system so it can be installed on the head for flexibles and outside (bowden) for normal printing. That way IMO could work.
Meduza
Reactions:

Post by Meduza »

Yeah, I would not even think about mounting it as a direct feeder on a UM gantry, I was more thinking about the FT-5 guys.
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

Ohh sorry!!
Meduza
Reactions:

Post by Meduza »

No problem, i was not very specific in my first post :-)

The ZGE looks like it might be a lot better solution for direct drive on the UM gantry, and i am very interested to see how that project moves forward!
Neotko
Reactions:

Post by Neotko »

I suppose it could be adapted to any system where the head doesn't go up/down (so it removes the weight).

Atm the system works very very nicely. Gudo made quite an impressive system. I have change my 3 machines and currently all my shop production is made using zge and tuby nozzles. Quality is just awesome, specially since I need to print all at 60-70mm/s and at that speeds quality shows the weak spots of the printers very very fast.
Anders Olsson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2 UM2E, UM2Go, UM3, Delta Tower, Form 1+, Form 2

Post by Anders Olsson »

I agree with Neotko, the BMG is still too heavy in my opinion.
All these new feeders suffer from being based on a motor that is as common and cheap as possible, which is understandable but not optimal considering those motors are rather heavy.

Just as Neotko, I concluded that the extra weight on the head (in my case 100 grams for the direct feeder) means you need to reduce speed/acceleration quite a lot to prevent impact on the printing quality.
Generally, I would aim at 50 grams total weight if I invented something, that way it is possible to mount two of them without suffering too badly from the extra weight.

The ZGE is really interesting, unfortunately I have been occupied with other things lately otherwise it would be interesting to test it.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

That's a beast

On the topic of FT-5 and extruders....

A couple FT-5 guys have been looking at going with a Bowden setup, taking advantage of the Z axis gains from the shorter E3D Aero. With the FT-5 capable of some impressive speeds already, the Bowden setup would be nice too.

I bought a pancake motor for my FT-5 and the E3D v6/Titan Extruder

I'm debating which version of the Aero to go with (I initially bought )...stick to the Titan upgrade to Aero..or re-think and go Bowden,

Return to “General 3D Printing Conversation”