3D printing community rallies against eBay store

Discussion of ANY 3D printing topic you desire!
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

3D printing community rallies against eBay store

Post by LePaul »

reibuehl
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker 2

Re: 3D printing community rallies against eBay store

Post by reibuehl »

Has anybody checked if this shop is not one of Thingiverse's "partners"? Thingiverse and partners have the right to use your items. For all others the CC license is to obey. Here in Germany, the CC licenses have already been ruled valid in front of courts, so it would be easy to get money from that company if you have published under a non-commercial CC license. I doubt that it is much different in the US. Just because a thief says the license is invalid doesn't mean that a judge would say so too :-)
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

There's a good post, linked from that article, from a legal mind of Thingiverse.

It's a complicated piece to follow.

But you would think common sense would also kick in. These "guys" at a small business incubator, with advice from professionals, really think taking someone's 3D models, printing them and selling them for a profit is right? How about some basic common courtesy? (Maybe that's just crazy talk)
Titus
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original+HBK

Post by Titus »

Let me write the same as on the UMforum:

I think this makes for an interesting discussion.

-These guys take models, print them and sell them.
-3D hubs get send models, print them, and get money for their effort/plastic.

Are the two different? Well they advertise differently, that's for sure(they even sell things based on Thingiverse screenshots). But is every 3Dhubs owner checking copyright and refusing to print something?

Isn't a customer of 3D hubs simply paying your plastic and expertise and time, rather than the model? Would it be different if someone walked up to you and said, can I borrow your printer for 3 hours, oh and your plastic, and can you help me? I'll pay you for it!

In other words, how bad are these guys really? Or is it determined by scale, their retarded profit margin, something else?
Dim3nsioneer
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Ultimaker Original, 2, 2+, 2 Ext+, 3, S5, Form 2

Post by Dim3nsioneer »

Well, isn't it a difference if someone let a design be printed somewhere compared to if a design is offered to be printed?
I think one can not expect from a 3DHub to check each design for copyright violation. For me it's up to the person who is initiating such a deal to make sure copyright is checked. That's where I draw the line...
Izzy
Reactions:

Post by Izzy »

I allow users to print off for non commercial use, but if somebody wants to print of several and sell them then that becomes commercial, like wise if from 3D hubs I am approached to print an object I will try to find the origional source and check the licence, if they want several then I won't accept unless I can verify the licence and possibly contact the owner, then if the originator wants a fee I would inform the requester of this and the amount before I process the order, and confirm payments are completed before shipping.
We need to work together to honour each other's IP/copyright and get others to do the same, clamping down of the violators and getting the various sites to take the lead or else will will stop publishing our models on there sites, after all if users stop publishing on there sites they will collapse and be non viable so it's in there interest to support us.
drayson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO with mods :-)

Post by drayson »

I also alow users to print my stuff for NC use. I havnt got time to move them from thingiverse to youmagine, but that´s another story.

I just visited their web page.. honestly, those are college kids - go there and pull their underpants above their heads...

From a lecturers point of view (I read product management on a university of applied science) it is a no-go what they do and even more that their advisors dont advice them in a ethical way. Even the Chineese start to learn and respect it. I hope that there will be a court case and they learn how to respect the IP of others.
drayson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO with mods :-)

Post by drayson »

By the way - they re-used also the pictures made by the oroginal artists to promote their prints on ebay...
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

See it's antics like that ....how annoying...if we let that pass, then how dare we get upset the Chinese pirate our movies and music?
ivan.akapulko
Reactions:

Post by ivan.akapulko »

Hmm... There are a few considerations about this: let us remember the story of the success of the first iPod. the issue is not the cost of the device and its accessories, but that was a model for the sales GUARANTEE payments to the owners of IP. But in the case of 3D printing DRM protection does not make sense. And the introduction of the standard to limit the number of copies to print from the specified license file could kill the sales of printers in six months. The issue of limitation needs to be addressed not only to fines (not all laws are identical, and their compliance is difficult to control), but technical means. Perhaps there should be a limit on the amount of identical files throughout the day. But in this case the press should not give those errors, with which we are dealing regularly. It's a completely different level of consumer electronics, and, I think, it will appear not earlier than in a few years.
LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

LePaul
Reactions:

Post by LePaul »

Anders Olsson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UM2 UM2E, UM2Go, UM3, Delta Tower, Form 1+, Form 2

Post by Anders Olsson »

I haven't uploaded many designs yet, but for the few I uploaded I so far only put NC on the torque wrench.
That was mostly and attempt to make companies at least ask me before they start selling it.

To my great surprise, 3DVerkstan contacted me and were quite concerned about this.
Several customers apparently would prefer to pay for a printed version of the torque wrench with the Olsson block kit rather than printing it them selfs.
This meant 3DVerkstan would have to work for free for goodwill, since they were not allowed to charge for it.
So I added to the description that any Olsson block dealers are allowed to charge a reasonable amount for printing and selling it :)

I really like how professional 3DVerkstan are at handling all sorts of things.
I wish I could be that professional and for example stay away from the keyboard in certain situations :roll: :lol:
reibuehl
Reactions:

Post by reibuehl »

You as the creator of that design can grant more or less any licenses to whoever you want. Commercial ones to who you think is worth one (or even pays for it) and NC to everybody else. The keyword here is multi-licensing.

Return to “General 3D Printing Conversation”