Filament Run-Out Sensor

Electronics talk! Arduino UNO, Raspberry Pi and more
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Filament Run-Out Sensor

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Today I am going to talk about making my Filament Run-out Sensor.

Using these End Stop Switches.
Image2.jpg
RobotDyn.png
I have already made a Filament Run-Out Sensor from the top switch. This requires some work to reduce the size and rewire the LED.

I have purchased the RobotDyn End-Stop switches this will still require some modification to reach a usable size.
Though I still want a smaller Filament Run-out Switch Assembly than the one I have already made below.
Filament Runout sensor.jpg
I will be ordering the Smallest End-stop switch with an LED Below.
s-l1600.jpg
This when finished will require 3D Printing the model buying the Correct Switch, assembly and testing.

Then I will re-design my 3D Printed Case and post it here for all to have easy access adding a filament run-out Switch.
Your firmware will need an update to enable Filament Run-out and change your pins to address the end stop switch pin.
I use Z-Max because it is a unused end-stop pin and easily accessed
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Re: Filament Run-Out Sensor

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I decided that sense I have a bunch of the RobotDyn that I will design a case for the end-stop switch for use as a Filament Run-Out Switch.

Part one trim back PCB behind soldered connector. Then Solder wire from center of switch to GND terminals to restore trace.
RobotDyn.jpg

Now to redesign the case image posted in previous post to fit RobotDyn End-stop Switch.
1st Case model fitting looks good, though I need to enlarge the model to get the hole size rather than enlarging the hole to fit the Switch into.
Will think about this then make another adjustment.
Model RobotDyn.jpg
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Attached is the first draft model of the filament run-out switch, I did not include a hole for the led in this draft model.
The circuit board fits into the model very securely and allows the LED end-stop switch to work very smoothly.
Runout Switch RobotDyn 1.stl
(245.88 KiB) Downloaded 437 times
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Today I finished the smallest end-stop switch using the Ender 3 limit switch

attached is my Design for the filament run-out switch using the Ender 3 limit switch above.
Runout Switch 20.2mm.stl
(247.25 KiB) Downloaded 431 times
I did not place the LED light hole as many different Ender 3 limit switches exist.

Return to “Electronics”