Help creating vpn for octoprint (3d printing)

Anything you want to chat about...it doesn't have to be related to 3D printing!
jennylovell
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Electronic Beam Melting (EBM)

Help creating vpn for octoprint (3d printing)

Post by jennylovell »

So, I have a 3d printer on octoprint, a piece of software running on a raspberry pi 3b, it allows me to access lots of configurations on my local network by accessing a local ip from Google chrome, but not anywhere else. One solution to access it from anywhere is to setup port forwarding, but it's not recommended since it's very unsafe and could give access to the printer to anyone with malicious intents. So one solution is setting up a VPN in the pi. Now I have little to none knowledge about vpn and networking. found out some black friday vpn deals to get a vpn in affordable price. Would it be possible to use an old tplink router with ddwrt to create a vpn and connect the pi to it? While still having the router my ISP installed? Something like a repeater? Thanks
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Re: Help creating vpn for octoprint (3d printing)

Post by GrueMaster »

Yes, that is possible. But why not just put up a firewall for the whole house? I have an older low end desktop running IPFire with openvpn access from outside.I can connect to my systems from anywhere on my cellphone if I need to. As to the ISP router, I have it in pass-through mode, so ipfire is doing all of the work (dhcp, dns, etc).
jennylovell
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Electronic Beam Melting (EBM)

Post by jennylovell »

Hmm seems like a nice thing to me but I don't know if the tplink should create a new firewall network?. I still haven't been able to connect the tplink to my ISP modem to access the internet. Any ideas how to do this?
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Post by Roberts_Clif »

GrueMaster wrote: November 22nd, 2019, 7:49 am Yes, that is possible. But why not just put up a firewall for the whole house? I have an older low end desktop running IPFire with openvpn access from outside.I can connect to my systems from anywhere on my cellphone if I need to. As to the ISP router, I have it in pass-through mode, so ipfire is doing all of the work (dhcp, dns, etc).

This is something I should setup, have a sound system now though it could never hurt to improve on protection.

Return to “Off Topics!”