PNP Capacitive sensor

Software and Firmware Discussion - related to source code, firmware updates, etc.
jvecchione
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3dp-11

PNP Capacitive sensor

Post by jvecchione »

Hello, I have a 3dp-11 that I've added an NPN inductive sensor to a few years ago. I also upgraded the threaded rods to lead screws. It has been working great, but my aluminum bed is getting warped and pretty banged up. I am limited to a small area in the middle of the bed where it is highest. I tried printing on glass with a piece of sheet metal underneath, it worked well too but leveling was a pain. Pretty much live leveling every print. I bought a PNP Capacitive sensor and 5 volt diodes, soldered and wired everything up according to the tutorials I've watched, changed the logic in Marlin to false for the z axis, but it did not work. Wouldn't even power on using 2 different 12 volt outputs. I then removed the diode and plugged the brown +ve wire into the -z terminal. It powered up, but would not sense anything, the nozzle would crash into bed. I gave up and went back to the inductive sensor and it is working as before.

I think my problem has to do with Marlin, but I'm not sure how to get it working. Can someone please help me out. I've hatched my configuration to this post. Thanks
Attachments
Configuration.h
(34.65 KiB) Downloaded 462 times
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Re: PNP Capacitive sensor

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Guess I know as much as anyone on the Hictop 3DP11/3DP12.

Converted to a PNP inductive proximity sensor changed settings though I have a higher version of Marlin 2.0.x.

Code: Select all

// Mechanical endstop with COM to ground and NC to Signal uses "false" here (most common setup).
#define X_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING true // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
#define Y_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING true // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
#define Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING false // set to true for SN-04N False for TL-W3MC2.
#define X_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING false // Set to False for Runout Sensor.
#define Y_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING true // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
#define Z_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING true // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
#define Z_MIN_PROBE_ENDSTOP_INVERTING false // set to same logic as "Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING".
And am using X_Max for a filamnet out sensor.

I have posted many different versions of Marlin that work with the Original Hictop 3DP11 on this forum.
I always ask before changing there firmware that they have a working backup firmware before proceeding.

Hictop firmware is located here
jvecchione
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3dp-11

Post by jvecchione »

Thank you very much. I do have a backup. Should I bother with the diode again or just plug +ve (brown) onto the pin. The capacitive sensor I have is labelled 6-36 volt, but so did the inductive sensor and it worked fine.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I wired both my Proximity sensors by plugging them directly into a 5volt source.
SN04-N Wiring.jpg
IMG_2207.JPG
They are both labeled SN04-N 6-36 volts and Omron TL-W3M 10-30 volts.
In the three years have used the sensors have never had any problems with them operating at 5volts.
This in no way means that they should be or can be operated outside of the specified voltage limits.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

Something like that comes with the FT-6 kit and I found it difficult to get to sense It could have been the custom PCB they included which had some issues....I decided to go BL Touch since the version of this didn't offer any way to tune sensitivity

Return to “Software and Firmware Discussion”