Firmware for HICTOP 3DP08

Software and Firmware Discussion - related to source code, firmware updates, etc.
buzz
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): HICTOP 3DP08

Firmware for HICTOP 3DP08

Post by buzz »

Greetings! I hope you can help me with a few 3D printer issues I've run into on a steep learning curve!

1. I received a HICTOP 3DP08 a few years ago and finally got it assembled. It worked with the original firmware, but I elected to download the updated firmware and had problems immediately. By following a thread on this site from a year ago, I learned that the latest HICTOP firmware (Marlin_3DP08_3DP11_398) was not configured for the earlier M8x1.25mm axis rods that were in my kit. I tried to update my firmware load in accordance with the guidance in the thread, and saved my updated files to Google drive. I have not tried an upload yet for fear of bricking my printer. I would appreciate any guidance you can give me, after looking at this folder (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... jaJ2NBkkW7).

2. I purchased a level sensor from HICTOP, and while it fits nicely on the printer, I learned from HICTOP it was designed for use on printers that used their 8mm dia.-2mm pitch z-axis rods. That did not make a lot of sense to me, but they explained that the printers with the new rods had a different firmware load, and they did not have the firmware load for a printer with the M8-1.25 rods with an auto level sensor attached. Any idea if there is an easy software fix for this issue? If not, is conversion to the 2mm pitch rods easy to achieve on the 3DP08?

Any recommendations are sincerely appreciated. Thank you.
Buzz
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Re: Firmware for HICTOP 3DP08

Post by Roberts_Clif »

The Learning Curve is a steep one, when learning what we desire this becomes much easier learning process.

1. This is correct firmware (Marlin_3DP08_3DP11_398) was programmed for T8-8 lead-screw,
  • though you have correctly changed this line.

Code: Select all

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT   {80,80,2560,94.4962144}
2. Post a photo of you level sensor, though I believe will be a SN04-N.
  • The sensors do not care what lead screw you have
I have a SN04-N and have used is with three different lead screws perfectly.
These are notes I have added for the different hardware setups.
you will note 1.25mm, 2mm and 8mm lead screws

// Typical stepper motors have 200 steps per full step/rev = 1.8°/step, so 1/16 microstepping = STEPS_PER_REVOLUTION_E = 3200 
// X-Y Axis 3200, / 20 tooth, / 2mm pitch = 200*16 / 20 / 2 = 80 :: (STEPS_PER_REVOLUTION_X / IDLER_TEETH_X / BELT_PITCH_X)
// Z Axis 3200, / 1.25mm pitch leadscrew = 200*16 /1.25 = 2560 :: (STEPS_PER_REVOLUTION_Z / PITCH_OF_Z_ROD)
// Z Axis 3200, / 8m pitch leadscrew = 200*16 /8 = 400 :: (STEPS_PER_REVOLUTION_Z / PITCH_OF_Z_ROD)
// Z Axis 3200, / 2mm pitch leadscrew = 200*16 /2 = 1600 :: (STEPS_PER_REVOLUTION_Z / PITCH_OF_Z_ROD)
// E-Axia 3200, / (11mm Gear OD * pi) :: (STEPS_PER_REVOLUTION_E * EXTRUDER_GEAR_RATIO / (PINCH_WHEEL_DIAMETER * PI))
Upgrading will always be your decision,
we can go over and over the material until you feel comfortable with that decision.

It appear that am somewhat confused about the Bed Leveling data posted in your Google Drive Firmware.
As it does not match what I have configured in any of my Marlin 1.1.x or Marlin 2.0.x Firmware's.
As a mater of fact it does not even come close to what I would have configured for your machine.

These are my numbers

#define X_MAX_POS 220
#define Y_MAX_POS 270
#define Z_MAX_POS 190

#define X_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER 10  // X offset: -left  +right  [of the nozzle]
#define Y_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER 63  // Y offset: -front +behind [the nozzle]
#define Z_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER -0.5   // Z offset: -below +above  [the nozzle]

#define AUTO_BED_LEVELING_LINEAR

#define ABL_GRID_MAX_POINTS_X 8
#define ABL_GRID_MAX_POINTS_Y 8
#define LEFT_PROBE_BED_POSITION 10
#define RIGHT_PROBE_BED_POSITION 205
#define FRONT_PROBE_BED_POSITION 63
#define BACK_PROBE_BED_POSITION 245

Noticed you have no location status My Location is noted on my profile it give a general ideal when
a user may be online by there time stamp mine is -8 from UTC
buzz
Reactions:

Post by buzz »

Thank you sir, for your quick and very thorough response! I was not able to get a response from HICTOP that I could make work. It will take me a little time to digest and implement your recommendations but I will begin that uphill climb immediately! Yes, I do have the SNO4-N (https://www.hic3dprinter.com/collection ... ity-sensor) sold by HICTOP. It mounts nicely and I am anxious to get it up and running. Thank you again for this great help . . . . I would be lost without it!
Buzz from Illinois
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I have removed the SN04-N and Replaced it with a TL-W3MC2, was looking for a lower profile sensor.

Compare.jpg
I 3D Printed this spring loaded thumb screw mount allowing for quickly setting the sensor height above bed.
Then modifying the mount for the TL-W3MC2 proximity sensor pictures below the white mount.

I however ran the screw from the bottom to the top, placing a spring inside and a thumb nut on top.
As you can see on the white mount, I did not have an extra Thumb Nut only a nut until removing the SN04-N.
I purchased several for spares, needed to enlarge the top hole for the screw to allow for smooth movement.
Used 3 permanent markers to color the top of thumb screw to make it easy to see how far nut was turned.
Thumb Screw.jpg
buzz
Reactions:

Post by buzz »

Great idea! Thanks for sharing the thumb screw mount. I'll print one once I am back up and running! Do the x,y,z offsets you provided in your earlier post reflect a direct mount of the SNO4-N or does it represent the offset while using the thumb screw mount? Also, the modified .ino file name (from the Google drive) was Marlin_3DP08_3DP11_398, and I saved both the folder and the .ino file as Marlin_3DP08_3DP11_2560. I should have asked earlier if there was any problem saving the .ino with this name?? I wasn't sure if there are any internal references back to the file named "Marlin_3DP08_3DP11_398" and if I am creating a problem by renaming it?? Thanks again for your superb comments!
Buzz
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I have never used the Original Hictop proximity sensor mount.

Purchased my 3DP11 it came without a proximity sensor, I upgraded to the Spring loaded mount posted.
So bottom line I guess is, the numbers are for the thumb screw spring loaded mount.

I have save the Marlin with so many .ino names every time firmware is modified it gets a new name.
I always save in a new folder too keep the old original firmware just in case i ever need to revert,
or if I ever help someone else modify their 3D Printer firmware I keep a their firmware labeled...
Currently I hold 5.04 GB (5,413,974,910 bytes) for Marlin firmware + 350MB MPCNC.
buzz
Reactions:

Post by buzz »

Thanks again sir - you are a true subject matter expert! I am currently trying to troubleshoot an extruder that is not advancing filament. The motor works (confirmed by driving it at another axis) and when I try to extrude from the LCD I can hear the motor trying to pulse but there is no shaft rotation. This occurs with or without filament. Good continuity on all wires. Any idea what the issue might be? I've been trying to get this thing up and running all week and I am out of ideas . . .
Regards,
Buzz
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

If you are talking about your Hictop 3DP08, then here is what I know.

The filament will not advance as the hot-end temperature must be at a least 170C,
this is because the software has a cold extrude safety.

//this prevents dangerous Extruder moves, i.e. if the temperature is under the limit
//can be software-disabled for whatever purposes by
#define PREVENT_DANGEROUS_EXTRUDE
//if PREVENT_DANGEROUS_EXTRUDE is on, you can still disable (uncomment) very long bits of extrusion separately.
#define PREVENT_LENGTHY_EXTRUDE

#define EXTRUDE_MINTEMP 170
Like myself learning all this 3 years ago, you will be experienced in 3D Printer configuration in short order.
buzz
Reactions:

Post by buzz »

Thank you . . . I will look at the configuration in the firmware, but I have conducted all of my tests at
>180C, so I think that is not the issue. Once I have this resolved, I'll print the spring-loaded sensor mount. . .looking forward to it. Thanks for the encouragement!
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I remember when receiving my first Used Hictop 3DP11 that I had the same problem.
It took me quite a while to diagnose the Extruder stepper motor was turning in a reverse direction.

Like I said it was a used Hictop 3DP11 do not remember what firmware it had,
I had to change the wiring for the stepper motor to correct, did not know where to go for help at that time.
It worked out printed my first model after 8 hours of troubleshooting.

Then I found post here Chip Luck's post and updated here that helped me get my First Marlin firmware working.
I was so grateful by his thoughtful post that I been doing my part helping everyone who asks for help.
Though do not always credit Chip, read my posts an see that he is responsible for my helping other here...
buzz
Reactions:

Post by buzz »

After more hours of troubleshooting frustration than I care to mention, I found that one of the female wire connectors at the motor was partly loose. When the wire bundle was strained the connection would open and the extruder stopped. Once the extrude moved to the left on the x-axis, the line would re-connect and I had power to the motor again. I measured continuity no less than three time with a multimeter but never while the bundle was strained. GRRRRR! Good to be back online though! Thank you for your many suggestions and lessons learned! By the way I also had the z-axis reverse problem when I first started the printer and HICTOP did share firmware with me to correct the problem. Thanks again!
Buzz
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

You are welcome!!!

When you need any help involving your 3D Printers hardware, firmware, post someone will be here to assist you.

Post your 3D Printer thoughts will read. There is an entire thread devoted to Hictop you can learn a lot reading.

When you working with moving parts cables bend and they do break. Always use good strain relief methods.
buzz
Reactions:

Post by buzz »

One other question: Is it possible to drive the 3DP08 with Octopi?
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I see no reason that it would not work.
You are running Marlin, all my machines are running OctoPrint on some version of Marlin.
buzz
Reactions:

Post by buzz »

After a few hiccups, I have Octopi up and running on the 3DP08. Thanks again for your comments and encouragement. I next plan to print the adjustable holder for the sensor and try the revised firmware.

Return to “Software and Firmware Discussion”