Power Supply Smoked

Share your hardware improvements for your HIC i3, the good and the bad!
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Power Supply Smoked

Post by Roberts_Clif »

The other day while I was playing with the Raspberry Pi OctoPrint plugin OctoLapse.

I had turned on the UPS battery backup with the switch on the 3DP12 in the on position. Before I realized it.
The 3D Printers S-480-24 Power Supply started sparking and popping like a 4th of July fireworks display.
I quickly turned off everything and slowly started to diagnose exactly what had just exploded in the fiery display of sparks and smoke.

After diagnosing that only the 3D Printer had succumbed to the explosive electrical shower of sparks, smoke an fire.
It is now time to start the diagnostic and repair of my dead 3D Printer. I Quickly Unplugged the 3DP12 from it heat chamber home.

Took in into the work bench and quickly removed the original S-480-24 Power Supply. Writing down every wire color and location on the supply.
Then installing the backup Supply for my 3DP11 24volt upgrade into the 3DP12 3D Printer, connected all the wires according to my notes.
Now before turning on power to the 3D Printer a few tests, disconnecting the controller power lead I will test the Led's dimming controller circuit.
This is simply a LM317 variable 12v power supply circuit I designed for the 24 Volt supply to dim the 3D Printer frames led.
LM317.jpg

This is working as designed. Now unplug and reconnect the Controller supply power wire.

The raspberry pi seems to have survived, and is allowing me to send and receive data stored on the devices SDcard.
Connecting the 3DP12's Controller to a USB power source to see if the controller had been damaged by the S-480-24's little display of fire and smoke.
Luckily no damage had occurred to any of its components, and the Power input terminals do not have a shorted circuit.
Connecting the controller to my home made 0~30 volt 10 amp supply will adjust the voltage up slowly to see if the current spikes.
Test.jpg
20.0 volts .08 amps this is good an means no shorts. All test to the controller says it was ready to be powered on.
So with all hand ready for the worst power switch to the on postilion and the printer is back to life.

Now for a small simple print which turned out fine and we at running again.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Re: Power Supply Smoked

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Received my ordered Power Supply from E-Bay seller today, and put it on the bench for a quick no load test, then maybe a medium load stress test. Before putting it into a parts bin waiting for the day I install it into the 3DP11 Printer.

Although this Power supply is dead and will have to be returned for a replacement or refund.

Well it is doing something as it is drawing 19.7 millamps of current, this means that the thermo resistors are intact and the fuse is still good.
The power supply just refuses to output DC voltage, I turned the voltage adjustment potentiometer. No change and the green led remains off.
The internal cooling fans are non functional, this is to be expected though because without output power the fans can not operate.

Posted a message to them as to what they want to do about this non-functioning 24volt supply.
So now we wait to see if there is any response form the seller, I usually give them the benefit of a doubt when they have a rating of 99.8%.

Normally do not leave negative or bad feedback if they stand behind there non-DOA policies.
Waiting about a week for a response before asking E-Bay to step in for a DOA Refund or replacement.
Don't want to wait too long or will forget it is here and then the DOA policy will expire and will loose any chance of a refund or replacement.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

And this is New Years Eve and received two messages.

Message 1
I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. I will get a replacement sent out asap. I will let you know the tracking number as soon as I have it.

Thank you for your patience and understanding in this matter.

Company Name and Address omitted.
Message 2
The replacement will go out this afternoon via USPS tracking number "number removed"
Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Company Name and Address omitted
You just have too have faith they will stand behind there policies.

END TRANSMISSION ! !
GrueMaster
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-17, Hictop CR-10S

Post by GrueMaster »

If I weren't sick, you are somewhat close and I have a spare 24v PS for my 3DP-17. I'd run it up to you.

Good luck on getting back online.

I also have a spare 24v controller if it turns out that has a bad circuit.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Oh!
Thank you Very much.

However I had a spare Supply.

Maybe I should say a supply that was not in use, it was purchased for my 3DP11 that had never installed.
My first 3DP11 is working perfectly well with the Original power supply a 12v 30a 360wt.

Though I do appreciate the offer.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Moved to Electronics

Should have never started posting this topic in this Thread.

Return to “Hardware Modifications”