Heat Break & Nozzle

Share your hardware improvements for your HIC i3, the good and the bad!
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Heat Break & Nozzle

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Today After 2 years I have to replace my Heat Break {Throat with - PTFE} and nozzle.
Nozzle & Heat Break.jpg
The nozzle is so clogged with the PTFE lining that it is nearly completely plugged.

Not Bad for 2 Years of 3D Printing
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Re: Heat Break & Nozzle

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Today I was following instructions that if I take my nozzles heat them to Red hot I could reuse my nozzles like they were brand new.
Nozzles.jpg
Looking at the nozzles.

The top most nozzle looks like it is garbage, the hole is so large do not believe anything can be done to save it.
The lowest and left nozzles looks like it collided with the aluminum bed and could be fixed with the purchase of precision nozzle drill bits.

The right nozzle is ready to be re-tested to see if the heating it to Red hot and cleaning with a Euro Tool has worked.
OR
Maybe all nozzles are dead without being able to measure the diameter of the nozzle hole there is no way to tell.

Retired these nozzles some time ago an read, on many occasions to heat them red hot to restore then to working condition.
Wish I could remember how long the top nozzle was in use before it was retired.
Adrian_S
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): HICTOP 3DP11

Post by Adrian_S »

For the one with the large hole I'd be tempted to bore and ream it out and fit a sleeve to it. A piece of aluminium rod turned or threaded and bored out to whatever nozzle diameter you wish shouldn't bee too hard a job if you have a small lathe, even one of those Chinese CoolTool clones should be able to manage it.

If you decide to make the insert a push fit then turn it so it is a couple of thou larger than the hole you bore the nozzle out to, and heat the nozzle before pushing the insert into place, it should then shrink to grip it in an interference fit.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Adrian_S wrote: December 9th, 2020, 7:01 am For the one with the large hole I'd be tempted to bore and ream it out and fit a sleeve to it. A piece of aluminium rod turned or threaded and bored out to whatever nozzle diameter you wish shouldn't bee too hard a job if you have a small lathe, even one of those Chinese CoolTool clones should be able to manage it.

If you decide to make the insert a push fit then turn it so it is a couple of thou larger than the hole you bore the nozzle out to, and heat the nozzle before pushing the insert into place, it should then shrink to grip it in an interference fit.
Thank you for the Ideal though new nozzles have already arrived, with these nozzles I am good to go for another 3 or 4 years.
s-l500.jpg

Return to “Hardware Modifications”