Vinyl Transfer Paper Tape

Share your hardware improvements for your HIC i3, the good and the bad!
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Vinyl Transfer Paper Tape

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I have created a series of videos showing how easy it is to use Vinyl Transfer Paper Tape

Installing Vinyl Transfer Paper

Will Vinyl transfer paper Hold my Part

Last edited by Roberts_Clif on July 4th, 2017, 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Re: Vinyl Transfer Paper Tape

Post by LePaul »

I'd offer a few suggestions on the videos...

- Timelapse is a wonderful thing :)
- Focus seems off (I can relate, I have a DSLR that just won't focus well in video mode)
- Maybe some captions?
- Does the vinyl transfer paper rip or deteriorate over multiple prints?
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

LePaul wrote: July 4th, 2017, 12:11 pm I'd offer a few suggestions on the videos...

- Focus seems off (I can relate, I have a DSLR that just won't focus well in video mode)
- Maybe some captions?
- Does the vinyl transfer paper rip or deteriorate over multiple prints?
Thank you "will look into captions", was in a hurry this time !!!" don't know why.

The paper will tear on occasions. Sometime it will even stick to the Print if you are too close to the bed.

I have printed many items on the same location without replacing the paper.

Their are Vinyl transfers tapes that are plastic that should work, they may need a slight sanding for the Filament to stick.

They sell a 10 Yard Sampler Application Transfer tape in 6", 12" or 24" widths to see if it will work for your application.

I have the 100 Yard roll At 1 foot per bed covering that is 300 coverings per roll, or about 10 cents to cover your bed once.
It is like a giant post-it and peals off easily on Build-Tak, It sticks to the Bare Aluminum bed much better.
That is why I thought I would change to High Tack Transfer Paper for my Build-Tak beds.
Last edited by Roberts_Clif on July 4th, 2017, 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

LePaul wrote: July 4th, 2017, 12:11 pm
Not sure what you mean all videos are played here are at real time.

2nd Video on this Post is at 200% speed

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=691&p=10054#p10054
LePaul
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): 24 - Yes I have a problem!

Post by LePaul »

What I am suggesting is that the print test could be sped up/time lapsed :)
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

LePaul wrote: July 4th, 2017, 6:13 pm What I am suggesting is that the print test could be sped up/time lapsed :)
OOh!! Will get better in the future, Still new and getting used to how the forums work.
drayson
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): UMO with mods :-)

Post by drayson »

I always use painters tape for transfer my cuts but that´s a reason for buying some transfer tape :-)
basically it is the same methodology as on the original UMO without heated bed so I would be interested in how the transfer tape reacts to heat applied from the bed? any findings?
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

drayson wrote: July 5th, 2017, 4:40 am I always use painters tape for transfer my cuts but that´s a reason for buying some transfer tape :-)
basically it is the same methodology as on the original UMO without heated bed so I would be interested in how the transfer tape reacts to heat applied from the bed? any findings?
I have used Vinyl Transfer Paper Tape on the stock bare Aluminum Bed heated bed up to 60°C it has worked great. Even thought of going with low tack transfer tape. Although upgraded to a Build Tack surface and the Medium tack Tape does not bare as well on this type of surface. And some wrinkles usually during the cooling process, just squeegee it down again. I may just purchase a sampler roll of some high tack Tape too see if it fairs better.

As you can see in the "Will Vinyl transfer paper Hold my Part" video it holds quite well and even with the pounding it took did not tear, just scuffed the surface a little, and this can be fixed with a quick 1500 Grit buffing.

However do not give it a false sense of worth, as it is still a paper transfer tape and paper can tear easily if not adhered to a clean bed.
There are Vinyl transfers tapes that are plastic they need a slight sanding for the Filament to stick. Though they may need to cool some before the parts can be removed, as the plastic sheeting may become pliable and deform from removing part when the bed is still hot.

As I have heard stated many times use a rounded putty knife to remove the part as a square or sharp blade can damage the bed.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Today I found a small piece of Vinyl Transfer Plastic tape. I thought was an empty roll. I decide to test print with PLA on the Vinyl Transfer Plastic tape and started with 44C on the Hotbed, and a nozzle temp of 196C. The print stuck well enough to complete a 60mm canister and lid. It require more sanding than expected, the material was thicker and tougher than I remembered and required 500 grit sand paper to ruff it up.

If I were to print it again would have set the Bed at 60C and the nozzle at 205C for the first layer then drop to normal print parameters.

The trick was getting the Transfer tape to stick to my BuildTak surface. And found that if you place the tape on cold it will not stick,
heating the bed to 50C then placing the transfer tape seemed to work best. and the tape did not wrinkle during cooling.
Think I will try the same with the Paper Transfer tape, by placing it while hot might stop some wrinkling while cooling and adhere the bed better.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Every one say it is stuck too well so here is another test. This will show if you raise the Nozzle it sticks less and still holds Model flat

ieatacid
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-03

Post by ieatacid »

Ever try PEI? Prints stick like nothing else, are easily removed once cooled, more durable than tape, reasonably priced for how long it lasts. I've been using the same sheet for over a month (printing every day). I've tried tapes, borosilicate glass, glue sticks, MagiGoo, hair spray.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B074XF3NGP/ref ... ZzbWQ17ZSF

It didn't play nice with my inductive sensor so I switched to a BLTouch and never looked back (works on any surface).
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Have never tried a PEI sheet, but have calculated price per day use at your current number of days at 67 cents per day.
I have used my Vinyl transfer paper tape now for a year and calculated my costs at about penny a day, with less than a 1% print failure rate.
And have printed 24 hours a day for a week with one application of tape, only needing a slight buff sanding twice during the duration.

I have been using an inductive proximity sensor for 1 year now have experienced no ill-effects.
Though I have never used a non-conductive bed surface. Looking back at how many times crashed into the bed surface when starting out.
Would have spent a fortunes replacing glass. Bought 3 for 1 price - 12 inch square build Surfaces $30 or would have never made the purchase.
ieatacid
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP-03

Post by ieatacid »

Wow, not bad. If my PEI sheet ever loses its adhesion I'll have to give the vinyl a try.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:

Post by Roberts_Clif »

I have retried my Build Surface I decided that in order to defend my Vinyl Transfer Paper that would have to have more data.

I find that printing a simple object is relatively easy on either surface only when printing complex shapes then the Transfer tape appears to adhere better for the Print.

I am printing the velociraptor business card, as there a lot of fine details. And printing is quickly accomplished.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:362357

For the first time I complete prints on both surfaces thou the one that prints the best velociraptor-business-card is still Vinyl transfer Paper Tape,
As the Build Surface still has a small holding problem on complex shapes and the starting speed really slow taking it a long time to print first layer.

Complex shapes
Start to finish Tape 76% print speed
Start to finish Build Surface 30% Start 76% finish print speed.
Above 76% can be accomplished on simple shapes but worry about layer adhesion.

Simple shapes print speeds are negligible as they both print about the same.

Return to “Hardware Modifications”