Lead Screw Swap out.

Share your hardware improvements for your HIC i3, the good and the bad!
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Lead Screw Swap out.

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Today I finally replaced my Hictop All thread lead screws with some T8-2 Trapezoidal lead screws. "8MM with a 2mm pitch per turn"

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT { 80, 80, 1600, 94.4962144 }

The job took less than a hour to complete including updating the firmware for the new lead screws.
I do not tighten the main screws until all is in-place as that little bit of slack is sometimes all you need.
when tightened you get the perfect tension on the lead screws leaving you with a smooth inter-action between the parts.

And of course during the testing determined that my Z-Axis still had the 2560 so could only get about 118mm on the Z-Axis.
I know that I had changed the Firmware correctly looked in Controller Menu under Control, Motion and ZSteps/mm and It still had 2560, tried to reset EEProms to firmware would not work from controller.

As it had been quite a while since my initial configuration it took me awhile to remembered, with firmware changes you have to reload firmware defaults into EEProms. This was accomplished by using Cura and the M502 to reload firmware defaults and M500 to save the changes back to EEProms.
Roberts_Clif
Reactions:
3D Printer(s): Hictop 3DP11/12

Re: Lead Screw Swap out.

Post by Roberts_Clif »

Another point of notice. I 3D Printer the new Z-Axis motor and End-stop Mounts because the original mounts would not function with the T8-2 Trapezoidal lead screws Nuts. The Motor mount work correctly with no problems and of course as Murphy has said many times.

" If there is a way to mess it up you will find It ".

Murphy was right the Z-Axis end stop mount was warped right to left, just a enough that when tightening the nuts and bolts for the lead screw nut it placed stress onto the Trapezoidal lead screw making it difficult to turn. Was only using 2 anchors so switched to the other two anchor holes.

Contacted the Manufacture, and of course the Chinese company does not sell the injected molded parts.

Return to “Hardware Modifications”